What .308 bullets work for you?

Nosler uses "load density" which is different than case capacity. From Nosler's glossary:
"LOAD DENSITY
The weight of the powder charge, expressed in grains, divided by the volume of the cartridge case, also expressed in grains. The cartridge case volume is obtained by determining the amount of water the case will hold when the bullet is seated to the SAAMI suggested maximum cartridge length."
But if you look at Ramshot's load data the Big Game charge is 1.5 grain lower than Nosler's max and at 51,552 PSI. Slower than Nosler's findings but as with any load start low and work your way up. I could see that 2900 fps is possible. I got 2820 fps using IMR 4064, TAC, and RL15. In any case all data is a guideline.
Yeah, I said case capacity I have no reason why 🥴 I've got all the Nosler reloading books from #1 to #9 must be Asperger's syndrome. 😵‍💫😂

Cheers

View attachment 448912

Nosler uses "load density" which is different than case capacity. From Nosler's glossary:
"LOAD DENSITY
The weight of the powder charge, expressed in grains, divided by the volume of the cartridge case, also expressed in grains. The cartridge case volume is obtained by determining the amount of water the case will hold when the bullet is seated to the SAAMI suggested maximum cartridge length."
But if you look at Ramshot's load data the Big Game charge is 1.5 grain lower than Nosler's max and at 51,552 PSI. Slower than Nosler's findings but as with any load start low and work your way up. I could see that 2900 fps is possible. I got 2820 fps using IMR 4064, TAC, and RL15. In any case all data is a guideline.
I'm @ 2800 with Varget, DPMS LR308 26" 168gr Nosler Custom Comp

You guys are getting smoking FPS with 168gr in a 308win. I don't push the pressure past the edge. 168amax shoot awesome for me with IMR4064 and Varget, but my rifle's favorite bullet is the Berger168CH. They are more expensive than the SMK, but I'm running a sporter barrel on the 308 and limit volumes of shooting.

If you are asking just for target, both the Hornady and Sierra 168 gr. HPBT Match have shot very well in my 30-06 's. I don't shoot in very many matches anymore. I laid in a bunch of Hornady 's several years ago at a great price, have enough to shoot for the rest of my days.

SMK 190 grain
For my AR 10 (Savage MSR10 Hunter with 16" barrel 1 in 10" twist) 43.8 grain of VV N550 CCI BR-2 and Norma brass gives around 2400 fps and regularly 5 shots in less than MOA.
For my old Tikka T3 Tactical with 24" barrel 1 in 11" twist, 45.8 grain of VV N550 CCI BR-2 and Norma brass gives around 2570 fps and groups around .5 MOA. Shoots fine up to 1100 yards

SMK 190 grain
For my AR 10 (Savage MSR10 Hunter with 16" barrel 1 in 10" twist) 43.8 grain of VV N550 CCI BR-2 and Norma brass gives around 2400 fps and regularly 5 shots in less than MOA.
For my old Tikka T3 Tactical with 24" barrel 1 in 11" twist, 45.8 grain of VV N550 CCI BR-2 and Norma brass gives around 2570 fps and groups around .5 MOA. Shoots fine up to 1100 yards

N550 EATS barrels, burns hot as hades. Consult the Powder Heat Index Chart, not the burning rate chart. I learned this the hard way, twice.

Recent Posts