What .308 bullets work for you?

In the process of wringing out my new pew.

I"m interested in your favorite 168gr bullets for target use only please.

What are your thoughts?
Well, for over, "man I forget, it's been so long" the Sierra 175gr Mk OTM has worked for me, just produce 2650 FPS, with low SDs from a 26" barrel, and you're golden. Of course, the guns hast to it like them, but I've found few barrels and guns that didn't. I worked up a load that cloned the Federal Match and the M118LR never looked back. The backup bullet was Berger 175gr Match. Like most, I started with the 168gr Sierra Mk which I still shoot as my go-to in my M1A today, fantastic combo, but... the bolt gun gets fed nothing but 175gr.
Bottom line; why shoot a 168gr when you can shoot a 175gr? Good luck, Cheers

Last edited:
My 308 will shoot sub inch 500yd groups with 168 smk's and berger vld hunters. It will shoot sub 2.5 inch groups with fgmm175s and Hornady match 178bthp's often enough at the same distance to let students use box ammo for class

Well, for over, "man I forget, it's been so long" the Sierra 175gr Mk OTM has worked for me, just produce 2650 FPS, with low SDs from a 26" barrel, and you're golden. Of course, the guns hast to it like them, but I've found few barrels and guns that didn't. I worked up a load that cloned the Federal Match and the M118LR never looked back. The backup bullet was Berger 175gr Match. Like most, I started with the 168gr Sierra Mk which I still shoot as my go-to in my M1A today, fantastic combo, but... the bolt gun gets fed nothing but 175gr.
Bottom line; why shoot a 168gr when you can shoot a 175gr? Good luck, Cheers
I shoot both 168 and 175. Just dealing with 168 at this time

In my Krieger barrels, the 168g Sierra Way out performs the 168g hornady on shooting very tiny groups.

If you can get any, the 169g Sierra match king is a far superior bullet than the Sierra 168g, and try and set them very close to the lands.

Nosler has some load data using a 168 and Ramshot Big Game. The velocity got to 2900 fps! I haven't tried it yet.
Wow, that's hot... I see that 2904 fps and out of a 24" barrel. I'd be scared to death to push a Sierra or Berger that fast in the same weight... perhaps that vel came off the 165gr not that it's a big difference but it was a 111% case capacity. 😬 Cheerrs

Wow, that's hot... I see that 2904 fps and out of a 24" barrel. I'd be scared to death to push a Sierra or Berger that fast in the same weight... perhaps that vel came off the 165gr not that it's a big difference but it was a 111% case capacity. 😬 Cheerrs
Nosler uses "load density" which is different than case capacity. From Nosler's glossary:
"LOAD DENSITY
The weight of the powder charge, expressed in grains, divided by the volume of the cartridge case, also expressed in grains. The cartridge case volume is obtained by determining the amount of water the case will hold when the bullet is seated to the SAAMI suggested maximum cartridge length."
But if you look at Ramshot's load data the Big Game charge is 1.5 grain lower than Nosler's max and at 51,552 PSI. Slower than Nosler's findings but as with any load start low and work your way up. I could see that 2900 fps is possible. I got 2820 fps using IMR 4064, TAC, and RL15. In any case all data is a guideline.

In my Krieger barrels, the 168g Sierra Way out performs the 168g hornady on shooting very tiny groups.

If you can get any, the 169g Sierra match king is a far superior bullet than the Sierra 168g, and try and set them very close to the lands.
Looking for 169 now. Hard to procure.

Nosler uses "load density" which is different than case capacity. From Nosler's glossary:
"LOAD DENSITY
The weight of the powder charge, expressed in grains, divided by the volume of the cartridge case, also expressed in grains. The cartridge case volume is obtained by determining the amount of water the case will hold when the bullet is seated to the SAAMI suggested maximum cartridge length."
But if you look at Ramshot's load data the Big Game charge is 1.5 grain lower than Nosler's max and at 51,552 PSI. Slower than Nosler's findings but as with any load start low and work your way up. I could see that 2900 fps is possible. I got 2820 fps using IMR 4064, TAC, and RL15. In any case all data is a guideline.
Yeah, I said case capacity I have no reason why 🥴 I've got all the Nosler reloading books from #1 to #9 must be Asperger's syndrome. 😵‍💫😂

Cheers

Relaoding books 1.jpg