What .308 168 grain bullet has the highest bc?

1uhBsniper

While bc isn't everything, id like to know whether a berger bullet has the highest or a sierra matchking, for example. I know there is alot of ambiguity here but I need a good starting bullet for my .308 and its hard to find a chart comparing different bullets number wise brand to brand.

Here is something that may be interesting for you to look at. Go to: JBM - Calculations - Trajectory and play with some different library bullets and compare the difference in trajectories/retained energies at range. Some of the bullets have data compiled by Bryan Litz, and are generally considered to be "real" BCs. If available for the bullets you want to compare, his data offers apples to apples BC comparison.

The simple answer would be to tell you. That could start an argument.:rolleyes:

The more fun answer is to tell, like "varmintH8R" did is to learn how to find out using the tools available on the internet like JBM, sales sites that list them like Midway and the manufacture's sites.

but

I'll give a shameless plug for what I like, the manufacturer's name begins with an "H" and the model begins with an "A" and it has a BC1 of .475 and a BC7 of .230. It's inexpensive and shoots very well. I've tried it in several 30 cal chamberings.

No 168 grain .308 caliber bullet will have a high BC, simply because it is an awkward shaped bullet. Very short and wide. It's like the humpty-dumpty or weeble of the .308 bullet world.

I would imagine the best BC would be the Berger 168 VLD. They shoot great out of my .308 Win, so I have zero complaints about them. My .308 likes pretty much anything I've put through it. I had an old box of Hornady moly coated Match ammo that I wasn't planning on getting much use out of, from back before I reloaded, so I figured I'd shoot them up. It HATED them. It was barely grouping about 1.5" with it. That's the worst I've ever had Hornady group in ANY of my rifles, ever. But I gained 20 match-grade brass out of it, and I had long since bought the ammo, probably 10+ years ago. So I considered it free brass. As if I don't already have enough .308 brass just sitting around. :cool:

Unless you have a specific need or purpose for shooting the 168gr bullets, I suggest you give this a try, if you have an 11.25" or 10" twist. Try working up a load with the Berger 210 VLD's. It won't be the fastest car on the track, but it's certainly a juggernaut with some hard-hitting energy.

I shoot the 210 VLD's with Varget, Lapua brass, and Federal 210 primers, and it puts 5 inside of a dime @ 100 yards.

If you HAVE to shoot the 168, the Berger & Hornady are probably going to be your best bet. On the other hand; why limit the range potential of your 308? Step up to the tried & true 175SMK or the Hornady 178A-max, get another couple hundred yards from your setup & add some needed downrange energy.

Heck, i've always wondered what the 308 could do with the 185 or 190 Boogers & a healthy dose of RL-17....

t

Keep in mind that some bullet manufacturers ballistic coefficient test setups are based on Standard Metro conditions and some on ICAO conditions. If your ballistics program is based on Standard Metro you need to convert the BCs to Standard Metro for those manufacturers that use ICAO conditions by multiplying their BCs by 1.018. Berger, Nolser and Lapua use ICAO so.... for me the Berger 168 gr HVLD has a G1 BC of 0.507 versus the Sierra (who uses Standard Metro) of 0.462 at 2,600 fps and up.

Berger hybrid = hunting bullet has a G1 of .496 target hybrid is .519
Berger bullets of the same weight, caliber, and design should have the same BC regardless of Hunting or Target model...

But I'm pretty sure you're referring to 2 different models of Berger bullets. The Berger Classic Hunter (which is a hybrid, but not the same thing) has a BC of .496. And the Berger Hybrid Target (totally different model) has a BC of .519.

Berger Classic Hunter Hybrid Hunting Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 168

Berger Hybrid Target Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 168 Grain Hollow

The Berger 168 VLD has a BC of .473, just for reference.

Berger Hunting Bullets 30 Cal (308 Diameter) 168 Grain VLD Hollow

Thank you for the help, I still need to do a little research but I don't really want to load that heavy because I need a faster flat shooting load. Plus my scope only has 65 MOA so about 30 or so usable... which means I'd be pushing it at 1k yards.:)

Palma shooters shoot @1000 yds. They shoot a 155gr bullet due to the fact it stay super sonic out that far. If you have a limited range in your scope, I would shoot 155 berger vld or hybrids. I know everyone shoots the heaviest bullet available but I think a lighter bullet becomes more practical in some situations. I have a .308 and I only shoot 155s in it (2950fps). If you make a slight yardage mistake ( the rangefinder picks up a limb instead of your target) the faster load has a better chance. If I need my big b.c. bullets I just go to my 7stw with 180s or 300 ackley with 210s. It's just a thought

Palma shooters shoot @1000 yds. They shoot a 155gr bullet due to the fact it stay super sonic out that far. If you have a limited range in your scope, I would shoot 155 berger vld or hybrids. I know everyone shoots the heaviest bullet available but I think a lighter bullet becomes more practical in some situations. I have a .308 and I only shoot 155s in it (2950fps). If you make a slight yardage mistake ( the rangefinder picks up a limb instead of your target) the faster load has a better chance. If I need my big b.c. bullets I just go to my 7stw with 180s or 300 ackley with 210s. It's just a thought

Wait wait wait...You also have a .300 Ackley Mag?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts