What 30 caliber should I build for 1000yd competition and hunting

Well, it would appear based on your experience that I need to pay more attention to that 300wthby or 308baer option. Thanks Darryl

Thank you for the help guys, I will be recieving the NIB rem 700 S/S 338UM this week and parting it out for my action. Then I guess it's decision time for my barrel.

What barrel length would you guys recommend? I was thinking 30". Also, what breaks do you all prefer? Vais? KDF?

Also, does anyone see any value to chambering the 300WSM?

Thanks

Justin

[ 11-26-2002: Message edited by: JustC ]

I would probably go with the 300 Weatherby as first choice. I have the 300 WSM as 1000 yd heavy gun (42 lb). That cartidge case seems to like the 180-200 gr bullets best, but I would not pick it as first choice for dual purpose gun. The .334-.336 tight neck weatherby will shoot 210-240s very well and you will not be unhappy at all with that choice. My 308 Baer was rebarrelled to a .334 neck Weatherby and sold. Guy that bought it shot a perfect 100 and a 5.1" group at Nationals this year with 240s in it. Simple quality brass only needing neck turning is another key.

Improved rounds work great if you are an experienced reloader and know all the tricks to getting quality cases with moving shoulders forward, necking up and partially resizing necks down to maintain alignment etc.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts