What 30 cal would you build?

Westernhuntr

I'm gathering parts to build a lighter weight LR elk rifle (sub 10lbs scoped).
I hunt elk out to 1100 yards and plan on shooting the new 212 Barnes LRX, I shoot a lot (approx 300 rounds a year per rifle) so barrel life needs to be at least 1000-1500.

Barrel length will be 24-26" to accommodate a 4" suppressor.
I've narrowed it down to the following cartridges ONLY:

300 Norma Mag- awesome brass but I'm concerned it will cook barrels..

30 Nos custom throated- maybe decent barrel life and should get a 212 over 3050

300 PRC- probably the best bet but I'm really wanting at least 3050 with said bullet

300 wsm on a LA- super efficient and would be awesome if RL26 got me over 3000fps.
Down side is brass and probably velocity..

I'd love to hear from guys who have any of the above chamberings

Of those I would personally do 30 nos or 300 prc.

I had the same dilemma a couple years ago and had a prc built. The Nosler does everything the prc does except having decent factory ammo. The Nosler should be slightly faster also.

Sometimes I wish I built a 30 nos. But overall I'm happy with the 300 prc.

Why not just shoot lighter bullets out of the 338 norma you just built. When I get time im trying the 240 super dozier

We have been crushing elk into the 1000 yard ranges with a properly built WSM and 215 Bergers for a long time so it has the sauce BUT a Barnes in those ranges I've always tried to push them as fast and hard as possible so you get some cavitation through the wound otherwise you get a little back with the wind of the shoulder and it's 3/4 inch hole.
The 300 Norma isn't really awesome till it's improved IMO, I really like the 30 Nosler, I like the PRC a LOT, ticks all the perfect chambering boxes for me that the 300 Win does but ticks a couple extra. Normally boreriders you can SMOKE out of a barrel, I've ran into capacity vs powder speeds with bore riders when you have to go to so much faster powder because of load density but you pressure up before you get the speed you should be able to run at. That 212 will be an interesting bullet, I might have to get a reamer for it!!

I would go with the norma or the wsm. I think both of those have some long term viability. The nosler and the prc might be gone in 10 years. Who knows. 300 win mag wasnt an option so...
I'd bet my farm on the PRC never going anywhere, especially with military support.
That's a big reason I'm considering it, that and it improves on the 300 wm.
Also factory ammo is not important to me I don't use it.

I like the 30 Nosler (30-28 even better)
This^^^^^^
I like the 35 degree shoulder and the capacity of the 30 nos but I've heard a few guys burned them out around 700 rounds.
I believe one guy was @rfurman24??
ADG brass is a serious plus though, I'm thinking it's going to be that or a 300 PRC

The Norma and Nosler should be close ballistic twins correct? I am in process of having a Norma built since it was designed for the heavy 30s and to be able to still have a repeater, I know the Nosler can be in a standard length magnum action. Really wondering about this comparison.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.