what 30 cal bullets?

hollywood88

Ok i know im way overkill but my rifles are all. 308's and 1 mosin nagant. Went hunting today and made a decent shot at 478 yards but had to do alot of tracking through thickets to find my yote. Current setup is remmy 700 adl syn. .308 with a 1 in 10 twist barrel topped with an older 4x16 mildot(cant remember brand) and was using some 150 grain soft point loads my uncle gave me to test out. Really wasnt impressed with the performance of the bullets so i am just gonna finish off the rest at the range so i can have fresh brass for my own hand loads. Ive always used heavier hpbt"s which shoot great for target but im needing something with good expansion.. shots around here hunting are typically in the 100-300 yard range so i figure i should still be safe with a fairly light bullet. What bullet and load would you guys suggest for my setup? The heavy smk's shoot great and work fine with headshots, but i would like to find sonething to use on body shots

Hollywood,
Try some nosler 125 ballistic tips, they are very accurate in my 308 I also load them in my 300wsm they are really tack drivers in it but you won't have much pelt left at 3900-4000fps. But hey on the upside you don't have to track them.

We need to get togeather and shoot sometime. Did you try Don's range there by Brazil? Never heard.

Rick

I tried the 178 gr amax with 55 gr IMR 4350, CCI BR primer and some well worn LC brass in a 30/06 last week. Shot a 2.16" group at 500 yards. I hope to pop some coyotes at LR with a few more scope setting tests.

Hey rick, the noslers were my go to rounds when i was in high school lol. The 150's were devastating.im looking in my books and it shows a b.c. of 0.366 which shouldnt be too bad. What twist rate are you shooting them out of? Also,when you see the quick camo job on my remmy you gotta promise not to laugh lol

Ok i know im way overkill but my rifles are all. 308's and 1 mosin nagant.

Nonsense, this fell from .225gr NAB off my .338 Win Mag @ 338 yards. Bullet entered left shoulder ~ 1.5" and exploded out at the gut ... :):Dgun)

2011-11-19_14-49-06_396.jpg

2011-11-19_14-48-02_4.jpg

Hey rick, the noslers were my go to rounds when i was in high school lol. The 150's were devastating.im looking in my books and it shows a b.c. of 0.366 which shouldnt be too bad. What twist rate are you shooting them out of? Also,when you see the quick camo job on my remmy you gotta promise not to laugh lol

Sorry it took so long just got home wife draged me out to go shopping.
308 is 1-11
300wsm 1-11
I wouldn't laugh it's not polite to laugh at another mans rifle. IMO

Rick

Nonsense, this fell from .225gr NAB off my .338 Win Mag @ 338 yards. Bullet entered left shoulder ~ 1.5" and exploded out at the gut ... :):Dgun)

2011-11-19_14-49-06_396.jpg

2011-11-19_14-48-02_4.jpg

I agree shot em with what your carryin. I plan on whackin a couple with my 7mm this year hopefully.

Rick

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.