What .284 rifle to build

A caliber that I've just lately been interested in is the 7 WSM. Mostly because I want it to fit in the short action that I own and work with the 8 twist 7mm barrel about to arrive. From what I've seen thus far it's not a common or popular chamber.

7mm 300 win, with standard shoulder. Lots of brass, reasonably priced, will push 195 Berger to 2900+ without wrecking brass. I use a 300 win sizer(no/expander deprimed in a lee depriming die) for the body about every 3rd reload and a 7 rem mag die set to size the neck and just touch the shoulder. One pass through the die and I'm ready to shoot. I am going to get a Larry Willis collet base die, as I have cases with 6 & 7 reloads that need reduced just above the belt. Shooting a 27" X-Caliber 5R 8 twist barrel #4 contour on 700 rem
I'm pushing 195 Berger's right at 3020 out of my TS Customs 7-300 win mag with a Thunderbeast ultra9. Defiant action, proof research carbon fiber sendero profile 1-8.4 twist and manners carbon fiber stock. Very accurate.
Travis makes some amazing rifles.

A caliber that I've just lately been interested in is the 7 WSM. Mostly because I want it to fit in the short action that I own and work with the 8 twist 7mm barrel about to arrive. From what I've seen thus far it's not a common or popular chamber.
I've got one that shoots "lights out"! However it's hard not to pick up my 280 Rem most of the time going out the door.

.280AI and 28 Nosler would be top choices, but brass is super hard to find right now.
7RM is easy.
7SS, 7SAUM, 7Max if you want a short or medium action. Maybe even 7WSM.
7-.300WM or 7STW would get you a bit more than the 7RM.
7RUM if you want an absolute missile launcher.
^^^^^ This ^^^^^ Did I miss your twist somewhere along the way? That would be a factor in the choice for me. The 7 SAUM is hard to beat for a comfortable and efficient round to 1K. Sherman Max to up the gas a little if you want. Twist will basically affect 168 class vs 180+ class projos.

I built a 7mm blaser improved 37 degree. Have shot 175 eol, 180 hybrid, 184 hybrid, and 195 eol and they all shoot excellent. I'm running 195s at 2840fps or 2890 with banish 30 on from a 24" barrel.

I was on the fence between a 280 AI and a 7mm SAUM. I have a donor Remington 700 LA for the 280 AI, but I liked the idea of a Defiance XM action with a Manners EH8+ stock and a 22" barrel. Brass for either was a concern.

The mailman just helped me make up my mind:

29DBF73F-7404-469B-AF49-5465A4BBA436.jpeg

Straight 284 winchester for targets. Hunting Id go with a 7mm rem mag
Pretty surprising my LA 284s with RL17 runs the 180s at 3000 fps. That's rivaling factory 7mm mag ammo performance. Still not much below reloaded 7mm mag performance. RL17 is pixie dust in the 284s. Much less powder and recoil as well

Recent Posts