What 25 calibers are yall shooting?

One of my first rifles almost 50 years ago was a 25-06. It was my go to deer rifle for western hunts. Incredible accurate with almost any factory ammo. Shot many deer up to 350 yds. Then I gravitated to bigger and faster-7 Ultra mag, 300 Win Mag. Eventually I did not like the added recoil and my go to rifle is now a 6.5x284. My personal opinion for hunting is to choose a caliber/rifle that has adequate energy for a clean kill at the ranges you are capable of shooting, with the least amount of recoil. I fully understand that statement is subject to a wide variation of opinion on defining what each of terms means. Just sayin!

Considering building a .25 something once I'm done with my 6.5 build....
Are there any short actions that are easy to get brass for?
I know 25-06 is popular but I've seen several deer lost (I know probably the shooter) but still left a bad taste with me.
Yep a shooter issue, maybe bullet. Last four years had a client take four elk with a 25/06 and 120gr partitions.
I like the 25/06,257 bee, and the 257 Roberts. My ex wife killed a Roosevelt bull with a 250/3000.
I think the 25s are great deer class cartridges.

Vanilla 25-06. Wanted to get a 240 Weatherby but in factory rifles it doesn't do anything the 06 can't except make you hunt for brass. I bought enough bullets to half ways toast this barrel. I don't know what's next for it. AI the ought-six, I suppose. 25-284 maybe?

Question for the OP though: if the 25-06 left a bad taste, what are you expecting to find that surpasses it ballistically? You're essentially left with the Roy or a wildcat of some flavor? Not that that should deter you but what are your expectations?
25-.284 is a WISE CHOICE. I have about 1,000 Sierra 100gr HPBT Match Kings and several 100 Ballistic tips in Nosler & Hornady if anyone INTERESTED.
Theosmithjr. [email protected]

Bump it up to a .25-06 AI and no more speed advantage for the .257 Wby.

Just went back and re-checked my load data... I'm around 3,600 FPS MV with 7828 SSC with 115 VLD in my .25-06 AI 40º...But that's MAX load. At that point, it's pushing blowing out a primer. That technically means there is zero difference in the .25-06 AI and .257 Wby...Except the Wby uses more expensive brass, less available brass, more expensive factory ammo, more powder, less barrel life, more recoil, and more muzzle blast.

3600 fps with a 115 gr bullet!!! Yowzzza!! Hope you're not ever occupying a bench next to me at the range! :(

25-06 is your best bet all around. The 25 wssm is a hammer and a barrel burner like the worst of them but very fun if barrel replacement isn't a big deal. Bit I also still love my 25-35 lever action.
Ha

why not a 25 wssm? short action, plenty of brass, 75g @ 3750 fps, 85g @ 3550fps, 100g @ 3250fps.
I like your thinking! And you paid attention (he is looking for a SHORT action .25 caliber option.) But a search for .25 WSSM brass showed that every place that even listed it (and there weren't a lot of them) had it 'backordered' or 'out-of-stock'. Maybe that's just a temporary unavailability issue?

Considering building a .25 something once I'm done with my 6.5 build....
Are there any short actions that are easy to get brass for?
I know 25-06 is popular but I've seen several deer lost (I know probably the shooter) but still left a bad taste with me.
If you want the baddest 25 on the planet. Build a 257 STW. Save extra money to buy barrels.

I have a 25 wssm that I am very happy with and had it since they were introduced. I have recently put a new Barrel on it. Douglas 9 twist. 115 grain bergers come out of it at right around 3,000 feet per second. While brass is hard to find there are companies that reform it from WSM cases.

My reamer just arrived for my next 25 Cal build. Set up for the 131gr "ACE" and Dale Janzen's 140gr VLD. Should have my 7.5 twist barrel in the next two weeks or so.

B48A9AB3-809C-49AA-A2DB-AA57147BEFC8.jpeg

I like your thinking! And you paid attention (he is looking for a SHORT action .25 caliber option.) But a search for .25 WSSM brass showed that every place that even listed it (and there weren't a lot of them) had it 'backordered' or 'out-of-stock'. Maybe that's just a temporary unavailability issue?
The 25 WSSM brass can be found more readily than some others, it usually comes around. I shoot a 243 WSSM and that brass was impossible to find or too expensive to be practical for a while up in the $2/piece of once fired. Luckily I've stashed a few hundred pieces of it for myself. The WSSMs are fun but limited by their short magazines.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.