What 22cal would you build?

I have 22-243 shooting a 55gr Nosler BT at 4150fps out of a 24 inch barrel, and it destroys coyotes and prarie dogs
I also build 20-250, 6-06AI, 22-243, 22-250AI, 260AI, and lot's of other rifles on my lathe!

6MM06AI:
Awesome!
"O My" said Dorthey in the Land of OZ while the Lion hid behind a tree!
A real cartridge 22-243 (22-08 in the beginning) shooting 4K+ with a 55 gr bullet.. Can the 22 Creed compare???

What fps you getting with a 20-250? We love our .204 @ 3,750 with 39gr SBK shooting 0.156". Get over 4K with 32 gr SBK but like the 39 gr better for the wind and hitting at distance (500 yds).

Our Lathe is jealous and needs to get a .22 or .20 something Reamer!
Couldn't use our Labradar - would have to go back to the CED-2 to measure over 4K FPS.
Thanks
Len & Jill

I am tinkering with a 224 Clark. This is an original barrel marked by him. Had maybe 20 round through it when I picked it up. If it will come close to what I hope using 75-77 grain bullets, I am going to build a complete new rig. I plan on a 28"-30" barrel, maybe cumbersome with a can.
Hope to have this done by late winter or early spring. Scope base on original Czeck Mauser was a mess. It now resides on a Yugo action, finding a stock for the M48 looks to be a slight issue for a varmint barrel.

I am tinkering with a 224 Clark. This is an original barrel marked by him. Had maybe 20 round through it when I picked it up. If it will come close to what I hope using 75-77 grain bullets, I am going to build a complete new rig. I plan on a 28"-30" barrel, maybe cumbersome with a can.
Hope to have this done by late winter or early spring. Scope base on original Czeck Mauser was a mess. It now resides on a Yugo action, finding a stock for the M48 looks to be a slight issue for a varmint barrel.
Is the parent case based on some sort of 6mm and what is the twist?
Thanks
Len

If I remember the Clark is the .257 Roberts case. +P cases helped.

The .224 TTH is the 6mm Remington necked down.

Some drawings show more difference between the case than others.

Personally I suspect more variance will be found in reamers, and chambering. My 2 cents is the TTH guys should be paying royalties, or greater homage to Ken Clark.

The Clark can use the 6mm Remington or the 257 Roberts. The 257 is closer to actual size than the 6mm. The 6mm has more to move on firing and close attention needs to be payed when doing initial sizing.

A lot has changed in the shooting world since Clark came up with this. Not saying it will last forever, it can be controlled for optimum performance and life.
Have received a fair bit of flack from some, yet not one ever shot or owned a 224 Clark. Hearsay and what I heard or read scenario.

My intentions are for poking holes in deer and smaller critters from 500 yards and under with no issue, should be some fudge factor if a bit over 500.

I have a 22BR and it gave the boot to my 22-250, never looked back. That is with bullets driven to speed up to a 55 grain.
Also have a 20BR project that needs attention. 55 grain Berger's are the planned projectiles.

My fun was 22 Cheetah Mk-II, or 22/243 w/35 deg shoulder. Built on a Browning 78, 22-250 rechambered so it was factory twist. Put a 12x Leupold on it, loaded 60 gr Nosler Solid Base, 46.0gr H414 for 3756 fps gave groups of 3/8". Wow this was a fun rifle, light, handy and accurate.

Last edited:
Is 6mm rem brass hard to find?
For my 6mm AI, I'm starting with 7x57. More options and a little easier to find.
20190702_100300.jpg

Recent Posts