What 209 primer for BH209?

longbowelk

I finally got around to trying the BH209 in my CVA Optima. It was a bad experience. I was using some Winchester Triple 7 209 primers. Out of 5 shots I had 1 good shot. the rest were misfire, sounded like only half the powder went off, and 2 delayed fires.
I now know this primer is no good for the BH209.
I have read here somewhere someone listed about 3 acceptable primers for the BH209. I tried a search and I just don't have enough time to dig that thread out of the maze. Thanks in advance...

Here's the deal with triple seven primers and Remington clean bore primers. They are both made using black powder. Which makes them not even close to being hot enough. The primers named are regular shotshell primers and are suitable. I've use win 209 and never had a misfire/hang fire with them.

I had the same problem this season when switching to BH and tried using a standard ML primer. Did a little research and bought some CCI 209M shotshell primers. So far they have not let me down and worked great this season.

I got better groups w/ the Win209 over the Fed209. I think the feds were making my loads jump. Haven't had any ignition issues, also at 3500ft if that makes a difference.

CCI 209M is the way to go. Have 2 optimas. I also put a small buna-n o-ring in the breech plug. It sits underneath the primer and seals it tightly. Havent had a hang-fire in years. You should be able to print 1-2.5" groups at 100yds consistently. If accuracy is worse than that change sabot.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.