What 17 HMR is everyone shooting?

Sorry about the derail, but has anyone shot Hornady .22 WMR with a 30 grain Spire Point?
I saw it for the first time today. Wondered if it was worth a poo.
I've shot the 30gr a lot in a Marlin stainless laminated tube feed bolt.
It does fine❗ 22 mags just aren't near as accurate as 22lr can be or. 17hmr

I lucked into a Sako Quad 3 years back. I put the 17 HMR barrel on and have never even been tempted to try one of the other 3 barrels that came with the set (22 LR, 22 WMR, 17 Mach 2).

Sweet and refined rifle that feels great and shoots very precise.
230330 17 HMR.jpg

So many good responses and pictures! I have it narrowed down between the CZ 457 American, 457 Varmint, or the T1X. Feel like it is a toss up between them. I think the Tikka looks cheap, but is probably a shooter and a stock can be replaced fairly easily and cheaply.

Savage B Mag .17WSM. A couple different loads and ammo mfg's is about the same price as other .17 rim fire. Up to 3,000 fps at the muzzle.

Attachments

• .17WSM  Savage B Mag 002.JPG
    .17WSM Savage B Mag 002.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 52
  • Savage B Mag .17cal 003.JPG
    Savage B Mag .17cal 003.JPG
    384 KB · Views: 50
  • Savage B Mag  .17WSM 003.JPG
    Savage B Mag .17WSM 003.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 49
Considering purchasing a .17 HMR for controlling the local woodchucks around the house and for general plinking. It looks like there are many options out there, so I am curious what brand and model everyone is shooting and having good luck with. The popular one online seems to be the Ruger Precision Rifle.
I opted for the stainless Savage 93BSEV with the funky Jacaranda stock. I love it & it's accuracy but I added a much-needed front sling swivel stud so I could use a bipod. THAT turned a beautiful rifle (IMO) into a real shooter.

I have both the Savage and the CZ. I love my CZ 457 MTR in .17HMR. I'm shooting it with accuracy at 235 Yards. I did put a Timney trigger in it and it makes a world of difference as well/ 8OZ to 1 pound pull. I did shoot the Savage with great success, but I will never buy another one due to the fact I bought a A10 semi auto and they had it three times in a row for warranty and never got it right. They had it in their possession more than I did. After the third time, I sold it

I just went through all nine pages of this post so far and I see all your different rifles in 17 hmr. but what I dont see is each rifles accurcy on a target at 100 yards a few posted there targets at what there rifle will do. So post targets and show what each one of your rifles can do just not pertty pictures of each rifle you own. Proof is on the target not the picture of a good looking rifle. I seen some beat up old rifles some with a little rust on them , but when the old man shot them at the taget and put one bullet after the other almost in one hole at 100 yards it's not what the gun looks like its whats on target that counts.

Considering purchasing a .17 HMR for controlling the local woodchucks around the house and for general plinking. It looks like there are many options out there, so I am curious what brand and model everyone is shooting and having good luck with. The popular one online seems to be the Ruger Precision Rifle.
I have Sako Quad that is a real shooter, I don't believe they have been produced in several years but if you can find the 4 barrel sets are a great addition to your gun battery!!

I just went through all nine pages of this post so far and I see all your different rifles in 17 hmr. but what I dont see is each rifles accurcy on a target at 100 yards a few posted there targets at what there rifle will do. So post targets and show what each one of your rifles can do just not pertty pictures of each rifle you own. Proof is on the target not the picture of a good looking rifle. I seen some beat up old rifles some with a little rust on them , but when the old man shot them at the taget and put one bullet after the other almost in one hole at 100 yards it's not what the gun looks like its whats on target that counts.
We have sustained winds of 30 with gusts to 60 mph today here in my part of Texas, it might be a little tough to have the 17 HMR on paper or the side of a barn today!!

Sorry about the derail, but has anyone shot Hornady .22 WMR with a 30 grain Spire Point?
I saw it for the first time today. Wondered if it was worth a poo.
I'm good at derailing threads. I have an old Marlin 882 stainless synthetic bolt action 22 mag that I just tested some different brands/weights in. The Hornady 30 gr. V max shot best. Then Win. Varmint HV 30 gr. W/polymer tip. Then Remington Premier w/30 gr. Accutip-V BT .

Last edited: