What 17 HMR is everyone shooting?

I've had, a marlin, couple different savages, a ruger 77, a heavy weight vq, some czs, and a couple chipmunks. I've shot on hunts the rar, bergara, the savage autoloader, and an 1885.

I still own a chipmunk, a mcmillan stocked vq barreled 77, and a cz 452 fs. If it were me and it was just general use, I'd probably go rar but the bergara was nice. If you are a Tikka man the tax would be a no brainer.

Only one I wouldn't do is the savage autoloader, that thing patterned not grouped.
I know of a friend who has not had a good shooter Savage auto. I must have lucked out. My Savage auto, aside from the fact I had to rework the mags, is a real fine shooter. It shoots right with my Cooper. Having said that I would stay with a bolt action.

I know of a friend who has not had a good shooter Savage auto. I must have lucked out. My Savage auto, aside from the fact I had to rework the mags, is a real fine shooter. It shoots right with my Cooper. Having said that I would stay with a bolt action.
We've got 12 Savage A's in our group and don't bother packing the Marlin bolts anymore. They're great. Hold the bolt open while inserting the magazine to be sure it is fully seated. The newer flush magazines are better. The banana magazine works well too but can contact the rest.

Savage B Mag .17WSM. A couple different loads and ammo mfg's is about the same price as other .17 rim fire. Up to 3,000 fps at the muzzle.
I got the same. But ammo is definitely harder to find these days. And just a little more pricier.

I bought one of the earlier 17HMRs on the market. It is a Marlin 917VS. I shot it in its stock configuration for a number of years. I decided to spruce it up and put it in a Boyd's laminate thumbhole stock and add a few other custom touches including bead blasting all the stainless parts. I installed a custom trigger spring to lighten the pull weight. The scope is a custom color matched Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20x40 target scope with fine dot reticle. I have never owned or shot a more accurate17HMR. It will consistently shoot under an inch at 100 yards with most any ammo. I have shot a handful of 5 round single hole groups with it on windless days. Just a really fun rifle overall. Many a Prairie Dog has fallen to this rig. Some day I may get around to bedding it...View attachment 442686
Had one myself it shot great

16" Tikka T1x. Burnt bronze cerekote, MT bottom metal, trigger spring kit, Gunwerks bolt knob, bedded in a Manners EHT, topped with an Arken SH4 4-16x50… thing is hell on squirrels 🐿️

F10F6E92-017E-435A-A741-26425BC6C1FD.jpeg

Yeah I would be curious on how the Tikka performs compared to the CZ or even the Bergara
Watch Youtube "PURSUIT of ACCURACY". Josh is a professional shooter I'd say and he sears but the CZ 457 Varmint. He gives 100% true feeling as he is not sponsored by anyone. I too own the CZ 457 long before I came across his Youtube, I tell you, my ist 235 yards knocks off the metal 6in X 8 in metal pigs at the matches with the grandsons! Using VNT ammo. Beautiful wood on that gun. The only issue I have is cheek weld. I had to add a 1.25 inch cheek riser to go straight to my scope on bench rest. Off teh shoulder was not a problem however.