What 17 cal for new build

matt_3479

Have a list of actions I want to try, so trying to narrow down calibers. I was thinking of adding a 17 caliber for a fur friendly build. 50-350 yards generally is tops. This would most like be a back up rifle/mid winter thickest coat rifle. My 20 tac is my main purpose couote rifle at the moment.

love my 17/204, it is my main fur gun. Used to use the Berger 30 gr., but ran out of them a while back. The Nagel 30 gr. work as well or better.

A buddy of mine used a .17 Tac for years and loved it also.

love my 17/204, it is my main fur gun. Used to use the Berger 30 gr., but ran out of them a while back. The Nagel 30 gr. work as well or better.

A buddy of mine used a .17 Tac for years and loved it also.
Thank you!! Looking too avoid if possible same head stamp brass, so 17 rem, 17-222/17-222ai
Or 17-204 really fits the bill! Heavily
leaning towards the 17rem for ease or 17-204 for performance

The 17-204 would be an awesome pick, but the distances you mentioned is for sure do able with a 17 Rem.
A 10 twist 17 Rem. will work with the 30gr. bullets.
I went through the same decision making some years back. Really wanted to do a 17-204, but the distances most of my shots are at is 17 Rem. territory. I decided to stick with the 17 Rem.

If your looking for a .17 build my suggestion is let your instinct serve you, easy is best because any gained performance is minimal . Like pretty much all of us here I like builds and new calibers but in my opinion the 17 rem or 17 fireball would be the way to go. Brass availability would speak volumes to me but be advised that 17's don't kill like 20's . I hope I don't offend anyone but I've been a fan of the 17 rem since the Sports Afield ad i saw in 1971. I have owed all the commercial loadings of the 17 looking for fur friendly fox rounds but I have found that in winter conditions reliable ranges are max 200 yards! Wind plays havoc with accuracy and less than 30 gr. Pills perform poorly or at least inconsistently . They are fun to shoot and accurate on non windy days beyond description ! Good luck in your build

Thank you, I found a bunch of 17 rem brass. Might be nice to just stick with a sammi caliber for the first 17.

What twist rates does everyone recommend

It is my experience your rifle will tell you what is the best bullet and weight . Let me add this is from own experience and prejudice using it on foxes and groundhogs. I'm a big fan of small caliber high velocity rounds and have been thrilled and disappointed by .17 cal. 30 grain bullets give the 17 rem more bullet weight to give better penetration sometimes a problem with the 17's. My advice use the bullets you and your rifle likes and not try to make the 17 cal something it isn't , it's a specialty caliber that's lots of fun to shoot and kills with in its limitations.

It is my experience your rifle will tell you what is the best bullet and weight . Let me add this is from own experience and prejudice using it on foxes and groundhogs. I'm a big fan of small caliber high velocity rounds and have been thrilled and disappointed by .17 cal. 30 grain bullets give the 17 rem more bullet weight to give better penetration sometimes a problem with the 17's. My advice use the bullets you and your rifle likes and not try to make the 17 cal something it isn't , it's a specialty caliber that's lots of fun to shoot and kills with in its limitations.

Unfortunately there aren't groundhogs near me, and the foxes are almost gone as well but coyotes are beyond a problem. This intended purpose is due friendly which I keep hearing a slightly heavier 17 cal bullet