What’s your Whitetail POI Continued. I’m curious what chambering, load and bullet design you use and it’s effects on your intended POI.

TrialbyFireFormed

Thanks to all who participated in the original thread, I really appreciate everyone's input.
I am still going through the thread and replying to all those who shared, but I wanted to ask another question......

Since success often depends on bullet performance, please let me know what chambering you prefer, bullet weight, bullet design, and how your preferred load affects your intended POI.

If you'd like to expand into effective range and tell me if and/or how your intended POI changes inside or outside that effective range I'd appreciate it.

Thx and Ttys
TrialByFireFormed

I shoot a .300 Win Mag loaded with my own loading and the bullet used is a Berger 190gr VLD over 76.3gr of H1000 for 2850fps.
As far as poi, inside 200, I only take neck shots unless it is a wall hanger. Outside of 200 yards and if I have my choice of shots, I shoot high shoulder.
I limit myself to 800 yards and have verified dope to that yardage in 50 yard increments.

Oh boy . So up until 2 years ago I'd been whitetail hunting with a Winchester model 70 in 270 wsm . Shooting a 130 gr Hornady sst . Don't remember right offhand the load but it was just over 3000 fps. It shot great and killed excellent. Any shot that hit from the last rib forward was a dead deer . Generally aimed center back to belly right behind the shoulder . Then about 7 years ago I read about the high shoulder shot . That's when I started shooting to that point of aim .
For the last 2 years been shooting a tc pro hunter chambered in 7 mm08 . Shooting a 120 gr nosler ballistic tip with imr 4064. Its right at 3000 fps and shoots great 10 shots at 100 covered with a quarter . Still the same point of aim with it .
So with two different cartridges the only difference I can see is the amount of damage between the two . The 270 wsm would almost cut the deer in half with the load I was shooting . It got to the point that I'd aim at the top of the shoulders at the junction of them and the neck to keep from losing blackstrap .
These shots are out to 300 yards which is a very long poke here in the mountains of Wv . Most were 100 yards or less some more but not alot

I hunt deer with a dozen different cartridges, but if you said that I had one shot to bring down a deer, and I had to minimize meat damage, but drop it on the spot, I'd bring my 30/06 shooting factory 180gr hornady superformance sst. I aim about 6" above the bottom of the chest, about 2" behind the shoulder. I've killed a few dozen deer with them, and they fold like a lawn chair.

I shoot a .300 Win Mag loaded with my own loading and the bullet used is a Berger 190gr VLD over 76.3gr of H1000 for 2850fps.
As far as poi, inside 200, I only take neck shots unless it is a wall hanger. Outside of 200 yards and if I have my choice of shots, I shoot high shoulder.
I limit myself to 800 yards and have verified dope to that yardage in 50 yard increments.
Hi Jester
Thx for your input.... How long have you been using the .300WM and what yardage does that bullet perform the best?

Oh boy . So up until 2 years ago I'd been whitetail hunting with a Winchester model 70 in 270 wsm . Shooting a 130 gr Hornady sst . Don't remember right offhand the load but it was just over 3000 fps. It shot great and killed excellent. Any shot that hit from the last rib forward was a dead deer . Generally aimed center back to belly right behind the shoulder . Then about 7 years ago I read about the high shoulder shot . That's when I started shooting to that point of aim .
For the last 2 years been shooting a tc pro hunter chambered in 7 mm08 . Shooting a 120 gr nosler ballistic tip with imr 4064. Its right at 3000 fps and shoots great 10 shots at 100 covered with a quarter . Still the same point of aim with it .
So with two different cartridges the only difference I can see is the amount of damage between the two . The 270 wsm would almost cut the deer in half with the load I was shooting . It got to the point that I'd aim at the top of the shoulders at the junction of them and the neck to keep from losing blackstrap .
These shots are out to 300 yards which is a very long poke here in the mountains of Wv . Most were 100 yards or less some more but not alot
Hey WV
Thx for your response.
I've been shooting SST for many years but the only diff is I shoot 12Ga and black powder for whitetail here.
The bullets perform well but the only issue I've had is with shots inside 20 yards.
The bullet practically goes off like a grenade and in one case completely fragmented causing the loss of 1/3 of that deer that year.
Aside from that I've never had an issue.

Back to your response,
The 270 did more damage than the 7mm08 at the same velocity?
That's very interesting and I'm curious why that happened ???

I hunt deer with a dozen different cartridges, but if you said that I had one shot to bring down a deer, and I had to minimize meat damage, but drop it on the spot, I'd bring my 30/06 shooting factory 180gr hornady superformance sst. I aim about 6" above the bottom of the chest, about 2" behind the shoulder. I've killed a few dozen deer with them, and they fold like a lawn chair.
Hey HCGATW
Thx for your response,
That's pretty interesting and sounds like a great recipe that gets the job done right quick.
What's the closest and furthest distance you've used that method and were the results the same?

Hi Jester
Thx for your input.... How long have you been using the .300WM and what yardage does that bullet perform the best?
I have been shooting this caliber for about 15 years. I have taken game from 10 yards to well past 600. With the 190gr VLDs, they perform best from 200 yards and out. From 200 in, they tend to grenade a bit but they are still extremely lethal.

Hey WV
Thx for your response.
I've been shooting SST for many years but the only diff is I shoot 12Ga and black powder for whitetail here.
The bullets perform well but the only issue I've had is with shots inside 20 yards.
The bullet practically goes off like a grenade and in one case completely fragmented causing the loss of 1/3 of that deer that year.
Aside from that I've never had an issue.

Back to your response,
The 270 did more damage than the 7mm08 at the same velocity?
That's very interesting and I'm curious why that happened ???

Bullets like Ballistic tips, SST's and Bergers are soft bullets that at magnum speeds and at close range they will fragment on impact if you hit bone or hard muscle, and in some cases fail to penetrate to the vitals. They will damage a lot of meat.

The reason the 270 did more damage is that the bullet is going faster causing more fragmentation (what many call bullet blow up).

We hunt with 7mm-08's and 7mm Rem Mag.

My wife shoots 120gr Ballistic Tips on her 7mm-08 and I use the 139gr SST on mine, both bullets kill fast and we usually put it right behind the shoulder. They turn the lungs to jello and kill fast.

With the SST I have gone through some shoulders with no problem, a couple of them at 100 yds or less and this is possible because the 7mm-08 pushes the 139gr SST at what you can call a standard large cartridge velocity. I'm getting just under 2,800 fps with IMR-4064. If pushed at a magnum speed say 3,000 to 3,200 fps at close range it will blow up.

On the 7mm Rem Mag I use the 162gr SST and I can go through the shoulder with it, why? Well larger cartridges work better with heavier bullets.

If you want to use a light bullet at lightning speeds then use a bonded bullet or a monolithic, these will hold together well.

On my 7mm Rem Mag I have also shot the 168gr Berger Hybrid Hunter and it did an awesome job as well, also snugged behind the shoulder, vitals turned to jello as well.

If you want to put it through the shoulder it's better to use an bonded or mono.

If you want to put it behind the shoulder then an SST, Berger or Ballistic Tip will work best, these bullets will dump most of their energy inside the animal and in some cases will not exit the animal but will cause severe trauma that leads to a fast and humane kill.

Hope this helps and stay safe

Hey HCGATW
Thx for your response,
That's pretty interesting and sounds like a great recipe that gets the job done right quick.
What's the closest and furthest distance you've used that method and were the results the same?

I've gotten several kills with it inside of 50y, but the furthest I've ever killed with it is just shy of 200y. I don't carry it if I know I'm going to have really long shot opportunities, just because I have other heavier rifles with optics better suited to longer shots..

Bullets like Ballistic tips, SST's and Bergers are soft bullets that at magnum speeds and at close range they will fragment on impact if you hit bone or hard muscle, and in some cases fail to penetrate to the vitals. They will damage a lot of meat.

The reason the 270 did more damage is that the bullet is going faster causing more fragmentation (what many call bullet blow up).

My wife shoots 120gr Ballistic Tips on her 7mm-08 and I use the 139gr SST on mine, both bullets kill fast and we usually put it right behind the shoulder. They turn the lungs to jello and kill fast.

With the SST I have gone through some shoulders with no problem, a couple of them at 100 yds or less and this is possible because the 7mm-08 pushes the 139gr SST at what you can call a standard large cartridge velocity. I'm getting just under 2,800 fps with IMR-4064. If pushed at a magnum speed say 3,000 to 3,200 fps at close range it will blow up.

On the 7mm Rem Mag I use the 162gr SST and I can go through the shoulder with it, why? Well larger cartridges work better with heavier bullets.

If you want to use a light bullet at lightning speeds then use a bonded bullet or a monolithic, these will hold together well.

On my 7mm Rem Mag I have also shot the 168gr Berger Hybrid Hunter and it did an awesome job as well, also snugged behind the shoulder, vitals turned to jello as well.

If you want to put it through the shoulder it's better to use an bonded or mono.

If you want to put it behind the shoulder then an SST, Berger or Ballistic Tip will work best, these bullets will dump most of their energy inside the animal and in some cases will not exit the animal but will cause severe trauma that leads to a fast and humane kill.

Definitely helps, thx a lot 🙂🙂

I use a 270 with 130 gr spt Sierra h4831sc. penetrates both shoulders out to 250. Works well for me
also 7-08 with varget and 120v max.

Wow good post LVJ! Agree 100%.........I posted scapula/high shoulder shot as my go to and use a 7mm-08 with 140gr accubonds. The velocity is about 2800fps and it will plow thru shoulder bone (both if required) and drop the deer cleanly. It also is deadly on a hard angle coming or going, with a lot of deer to penetrate. My 260 with 130gr accubonds worked exactly the same when I used to carry it as well.

Another good thread Trial By Fire...........good follow up and it will produce a lot of response's that will interest. Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.