What’s your opinion here?

I would have to keep it. I have been trying for over 30 years to get one of my grandfather's guns. He had three. The older I get the less I am attached to material things without sentimental meaning. With the sentimental things I keep I try and find a purpose for them. Rather it's actual use or just decoration. Tough decision for you to make,and only you can make it. If kept it could always be stashed somewhere handy--just in case!
You could find out how much it will bring and weigh that with how much overtime you would have to work to keep it and still get what you want. If kept you could look at it as an investment for the future since it will probably only increase in value. When I went through some tough times years ago I sold off most of my collection,except for the sentimental ones. Thankfully most of my sentimental ones don't have a lot of value so that made it easy.

You could find out how much it will bring and weigh that with how much overtime you would have to work to keep it and still get what you want. If kept you could look at it as an investment for the future since it will probably only increase in value.
I'd say it would definitely increase in value. Another member here sent me a link to a site where the same model/condition pistol I have sold for @ $550.00 or so. According to the serial number on mine it was manufactured in 1981 when S&W still pinned their barrels. I'd say that mine has been shot before, but I doubt very seriously that the entire cylinder has seen action. IF sold the funds would go towards an entry level 'race gun'. I'm really wanting to step up my pistol shooting game. ;)
Decisions, Decisions.....

I have had that situation arise a couple of times. In my case, I treated each firearm in relation to degree of provenance associated. At 14 years old I was given my grandfathers SXS shotgun, bought in the early 1900's. It was his only firearm ever owned, had many stories associated with it, and was used extensively. It has been treated as a family heirloom, and I will pass it down as such. Selling it never even crossed my mind. In another case, my uncles rifle was passed on to me. It was rarely if ever shot, stored away for years, and with no history attached to it. He wasn't a shooter or hunter, and I doubt he would care much what I did with it. I ended up replacing it with one that better met my needs........IMO, each case is different.

In another case, my uncles rifle was passed on to me. It was rarely if ever shot, stored away for years, and with no history attached to it. He wasn't a shooter or hunter, and I doubt he would care much what I did with it. I ended up replacing it with one that better met my needs........IMO, each case is different.
This situation is more along the lines of what I have going on. Thanks for sharing those, Sir!

Don't want to veer political, but if you sell, don't do it before the election. Based on the outcome, prices could skyrocket, and even if pro-gun folks prevail prices won't go down much for a while. Personally, I like to give away guns, knives, and rods and reels that have meaning to me to folks who will treasure and take care of them when I'm gone. Not necessarily family, just kids of hunting/fishing buddies who grew up with my kids and are now adults and clearly won't pawn them to buy booze. Not that there's anything wrong with that ;)

I would take other family members or friends into consideration. If there were someone else close to that person that may have an attachment to the item... It would be nice to figure out a way you both could benefit from that.

If nobody else has an attachment to it, I don't see anything wrong with moving it for something that will be useful to you, and be something to still remember them by.

I would take other family members or friends into consideration. If there were someone else close to that person that may have an attachment to the item... It would be nice to figure out a way you both could benefit from that.
Excellent notion, for sure! I've spoken to my Mother about it and she certainly doesn't want the firearm and doesn't care what I do with it. However, I guess to be completely 'transparent' I'd need to run this by my Uncle. Neither one have or would have any attachments to this pistol or they would already have it.......but it wouldn't hurt to double check. Thanks for your input! 👍

If I was going to personally I'd sell it before the election, but that's because when the markets great I don't wait for it to be greater. I sold toys in 16 that were worth dirt in 17. It fell like a lead weight.

I have 2 - 1969 Win 94 Classic edition 26" octagon barrel. 1 used but never fired, and 1 purchased new. The used one I purchased for $90, the new one $130. Today they are only worth about $600 - $700. I have just recently disassembled them and replaced worn parts and reblued them. I've had these guns for 50 years and will never sell them and hope that my boys feel the same.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.