What’s your opinion here?

Excellent notion for sure. So, what if you were the 'black sheep' (so to speak) of the family and the ONLY one who was into firearms and such?
You're describing me exactly and besides being the black sheep I have no children I have a double barrel 12 gauge made in 1913 that I've had for 43 years it is not a fancy or expensive model and I would get very little for it so I keep it but if it was something that would fetch a good dollar I would research what it is worth and that may influence my decision

I have been thinking about these questions lately because my wife's grandfather is dying of cancer and her family is squabbling over stuff. I think that stuff is not worth it. Why keep all kinds of stuff that you have no real reason for having? Does that particular thing make you remember good times with your loved one? Or is it just something they had that you never saw them use? My wife's grandad has several guns but none of them have any emotional or memorable significance. If I inherit any of them (not likely) They will just be another thing taking up space. I think as a people we pass things down because they are valueable and we perceive that as a way to help/ bless our families. If it's the value that was being passed down and not the memories then it was actually intended for you to sell and redeem the value.

Inherited or gifted guns I keep. My problem is I have a few old guns that I bought 20+ years ago and have been thinking about selling to get some that I have a use for. Only thing is my son is as big of a gun nut as I am and he grew up with them. I have been thinking of selling some of them to him at a reduced price. -- That could be an for you if another family member is interested in it.
Me and my son had some very lean years when he was growing up. He cracked me up the other day after he saw a 22 for sale like mine. He said when we were eating beans and tortillas for supper I never new we had a thousand dollars hanging over the fireplace for decoration!
Best luck either way you decide. You did say it would be a good concealed carry piece! You might could get some use and enjoyment from it before you decide.

You're describing me exactly and besides being the black sheep I have no children

I have 2 daughters and NO brothers. My family name ends with me most likely. Nobody else in my family hunts/shoots besides me. My 2 daughters (16 & 7) couldn't care less about it........for now.

if it was something that would fetch a good dollar I would research what it is worth and that may influence my decision
This is part of my conundrum. ;) By the way, why the new screen name, Bill?🤔

If it's the value that was being passed down and not the memories then it was actually intended for you to sell and redeem the value.
Powerful statement right there, Sir. I have ZERO memories associated with the pistol in question. Only the knowledge that it was kept in a bedside nightstand drawer for a couple decades.

He said when we were eating beans and tortillas for supper I never new we had a thousand dollars hanging over the fireplace for decoration!
That's a good one right there!🤣

You did say it would be a good concealed carry piece! You might could get some use and enjoyment from it before you decide.
Ultimately, I hope to God I don't........, but I hear you loud and clear. ;)

I have 2 daughters and NO brothers. My family name ends with me most likely. Nobody else in my family hunts/shoots besides me. My 2 daughters (16 & 7) couldn't care less about it........for now.

This is part of my conundrum. ;) By the way, why the new screen name, Bill?🤔
That is my screen name on two other forums a long time ago on this forum there was a thread about anonymity and people hiding behind a screen name so several members including myself used our real name to prove a point that was a long time ago I recently ran into someone I know from another forum and they did not know it was me so it's really just one name across all forums for me

if he intended for you to have it he meant you'd know best use..
It was my Grandmother's, actually. I think the only reason she left it to me was that she knew I was the only one in the family who would actually like it/be comfortable with it. I was told there was a fella who offered to buy not long before she passed away and she wouldn't sell it to him. ;)

I meant use by carrying it--not Having to use it.
I knew what you meant, brother. I was attempting a little facetious humor. The thing is with this particular pistol the bluing on it is extremely mirror-like. You'd almost swear it was nickel plated.....but it isn't. I wouldn't carry it for fear of marring it up.....which I most certainly would. I'm the proverbial 'Bull in a China shop' kind of guy...😇

I am in the same spot as well as trying to figure out what will come of my guns. I'm 62 and have a lot of guns. I guess I'm going to start selling. I have some that have been passed to me that I will never sell and they will be passed to someone else to figure out what to do with. Some have been in the family for five generations. It is really hard because I have special memories that go along with almost all my guns. What to do? I've been collecting them all my life it's hard to get rid of them. I sure don't want my wife to sell them for what she thinks they are worth or have some guy come give her what he thinks they are worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.