What’s your five? 5 Calibers to do it all...

17 WSM if I could find one in this country!
22 Hornet - hares and foxes
6.5x55 - goats and Fallow Deer
I would have said 7mm rem mag but my son borrowed it, never to be seen again, I do get to reload for it though!
308 - Sambar
35 Whelan - Sambar

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
6.5-284 Norma, 338 Federal, 300WSM, 7mm STW, 450 Bushmaster.

OK here's my list:
6.5 CM
6.5-300 wby or 7 wby both of mine are tack drivers
300 SAUM my first and only gun you really ever need
45-70

Well, a lot has been mentioned already and I've read all of it but I suppose I'll throw mine in as well. Since we get a shotgun (20 gauge) and a 22lr, I'll start with these.

22-250ai fast twist to shoot heavies.
6.5 Grendel 20in. AR-15 for deer and hogs to 300 yards. And because I need an AR-15! 😁
300 blk bolt-action suppressed 230gr for quiet work out to 100 yards.
270 Win fast twist with hammer bullets for anything up to moose out to 4 or 500 yards. 600 on deer.
338 Lapua IMP for way out there.

No africa guns because I'll never go there.

I'd be kinda sad not to have a 243, 30-30, or a 308.

Of course I need a 22lr pistol, and a 357 revolver as well as a 1911 in 45acp. A 9mm pistol or 3 would be nice too! 😏

It's so hard to decide. 😲😭

As someone else mentioned, 50 BMG is less expensive than my 338 Lapua, and according to an old Herter's manual capable of taking any game on this planet....🤔 worth considering?

As someone else mentioned, 50 BMG is less expensive than my 338 Lapua, and according to an old Herter's manual capable of taking any game on this planet....🤔 worth considering?
It may be cheaper to buy factory ammo for but when you start reload that dude with premium bullets I would imagine that would not hold true. You might get better brass life out of the BMG and that would help on the cost but probably not much. Besides, I can't imagine carrying that dude in any configuration I'd be comfortable shooting around the bush or back country hunting critters, but to each his own. Some guys just have to go big or go home!🤣🤣🤣

It's all for the fun!
If not, life would be boring.
You are correct though, precision 50 BMG is costly. And, there is a reason they are considered "crew served" everything about them is heavy. I saw a gentleman with a young grandson at Knob Creek one time that had a water cooled M2 mounted on a golf cart so that the passenger could fire it forward. It had a feed chute coming from the rear, and a water tank. They even had electric RV jacks mounted on each corner to pick it up and stabilize it for firing!

All for the fun of it!

With last year's events behind us, and God only knows what's coming this year I want to concentrate on more fun!

Wishing all a fun year of shooting!