What’s your five? 5 Calibers to do it all...

Is there any way we could get a poll/graph going of everyone's choices without someone having to do it manually? I'd be fascinated to see the distribution of responses.

If we assume/exclude 22lr and 12ga, mine would be:

35 Rem (for a shorter range lever gun)
300 Win Mag
375H&H

300 win mag
7 mm mag
7.62x39 (always available) & just a little stronger than my old 30/30 lol
Btw: very interesting read! Thanks for all the discussions and responses. No wrong answers with lots of opinions.

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
22 250 rem, 270 win, 270wsm, 375 HH, 30 06 loaded to 30 M1 specs. for M1
Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???

Hey guys,

I'll go with my current setup, probably go to my grave with these:

.223 Rem
.260 Rem
7mm STW
.300 H&H
.404 Jeffery

I'll state my picks based on a few factors (in normal years): availability of ammo since not everyone reloads, availability of rifles chambered in cartridge, cost of ammo and equipment, and let's throw barrel life in as well.

1) 22LR for plinking and rodents etc.
2) 223/5.56 for varmints and home protection etc.
3) 7mm Rem Mag for varmint/antelope/deer/elk/competition/etc.
4) 338 LM for deer and anything larger in North America
5) Something huge here but I'm out of my depth making a suggestion for large African game. Could maybe make an argument for the 338 LM with the right bullet but I'll leave it at this for now.

Fun exercise. It's interesting to see how much variation there is amongst the posts so far. Guess that's why they make so many cartridges. Thanks for the question.