What’s your five? 5 Calibers to do it all...

My bow good to 80 yrds. And reusable ammo (sometimes). Everything not trying to kill or eat me. Oh we are talking guns here.
1. 12 g 18" barrel the most feared gun
2. 22 Lr
3. 250 ai. 7.5 twist medium weight rife anything that scampers/ goes squish through deer and I guess elk with the correct bullets, distance,and setup.
4. 300 prc
5. 375 ruger for anything that wants to eat/kill you.
I started out this will be easy. I think I got it all covered.

If 22 Lr and 12 g are given then, I would add a set of twins 44 mag revolver and model 94 44 mag.

223 in a acc rifle,affordable.
308 good cal for a walking rifle
340 the do it all rifle for this continent.
375 H&H life would be meaningless without one.
416 Rigby if horsepower is needed.

In a fantasy world, where I had unlimited access to handloads;

.404 Jeff (24" double)

.358 win. (18" Lever)

.284 win (22" lightweight bolt action)

.270wsm (26" mediun bolt action)

6mm creed (20" varmint bolt gun)

If I was /actually/ hunting my way around the world;

.375 h&h (24" Double)

.308 win (18" Lever)

30-06 sprg. (22" Lightweight bolt action)

.300 win (26" Medium bolt gun)

223 rem. (20" Varmint bolt gun)

(Technically, that's only 3 calibers)

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
.222 Rem, .257 Robert's, 7mm Rem Mag, .308 Win and .30-06

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&17hmr, .243, 270wsm

Hey guys,

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
22lr-243-270wsm-300wsm-458mag

Hey guys,

, 22-250, 25-06, 300WSM, .308Win, .444Marlin

Okay,
I will bite!! I own many rifles and load for 43 different cartridges and then shoot about 4000 rounds a year of 308 in F-Class so my opinion on this is not really valid as i can pick and choose for what i am attempting to do.

I had this dilemma 5 years ago. My main importer procured me 4 matching Turkish Exhibition blanks and I had to decide on 4 heritage type custom rifles to build. I chose Cooper out of Montana and selected every single option except case colour hardening.

I chose the most useful and common cartridges for uses i have here in Alberta.

22LR
17 HMR
222 Rem
270 Win

They turned out beautifully and I cannot thank Cooper enough for the outstanding workmanship and quality.

For the 5th rifle it depends upon what my hunting would be.

For N/A hunting, I would choose my Kimber of Oregon 338 Win Mag

For Africa i would choose either Kimber of Oregon or the new Kimber Caprivi in 377 HH. They are easier to shoot than most people think.

I do have a 416 Rigby and 458 WM that would be a good choice for Africa but they are not a lot of fun to shoot "often and repeatedly"

I am not a fan of any muzzle brakes on a hunting rifle and wont hunt with someone who uses them. The PH is used in Namibia advised prior to the Safari that if I showed up with a brake, he would not hunt with me.

The only exception is varmint rifles where we are all wearing hearing protection. My 220 Swift with a brake does not lift off target to see the hit.

Last edited: