What’s your five? 5 Calibers to do it all...

I believe that I would go with either the .300 Win Mag or .300 Weatherby Mag, most likely the Weatherby Mag for my large game rifle. I would also choose a .243 for white tail deer and smaller animals such as coyote size game. I'd go with a 7mm Mag for a cartridge in between them two that is accurate and dependable for taking game up to an elk out to longer ranges if need be. I would also take a 22-250 for a good round that can handle small game and varmints out to longer ranges as well that can be loaded to not completely destroy the animal into shreds if I didn't want to. I think beyond that, I would choose the .204 Ruger because I simply like that round, and it's flat shooting and accurate.

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
22 LR, 22-250imp, 6.5 PRC, 30 Nosler, 330 Dakota, and must include 12 ga

22lr being a given.
.223 for fun
.308 for utility
300 rum
300 rum (always need Extra rum)
338 lapua or rum for long range "preparedness"

these will kill anything I ever intend to shoot....with a gun.

For Africa, I'll have my Hoyt.

PS. Is it just me, or does weatherby look like creedmoors older brother. 😉

Do it all? I guess we're only required to pick smokeless powder firearms and we can assume that bows and arrows and pellet rifles and the such dont count ... better throw in my muzzleloader as well. Hunting season is too short without all of these.

45acp
22lr
243 (or 6.5cm ... I don't eat varmints)
280ai

What I want:
17 HM2 for squirrels
5.56 for large varmints, criminals, tyrants but I repeat myself
6 Dasher for steel
7SAUM for ungulates
300 PRC or Norma for bears or when guides insist on 30 cal
416...something... probably Ruger for ruminants

What I actually have:
22lr, 5.56 6.5 creedmoor, 7WSM, 300 win, 45 cal muzzleloader.

22LR, 12 GA, 22-250, 280AI, 35 Whelen. They're all in my safe and if I could only have 5, that would be it. Fortunately, I can have 30! Because I love my 25-06, 270 and 300 win mag.

22 magnum
25-06 remington
30-06 Springfield
Rem 700 ultimate muzzleloader
375 ruger
Gotta have a rimfire. Gotta have a muzzleloader since I'm from iowa, gotta have a couple multi-purpose calibers, and gotta have a 375 ruger, or perhaps a 416 of some variety. That should do it for me.

7LRM,7mm mag,300 win mag,308 and last but NOT THE LEAST 22lr... :p :p :cool:

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
.22LR........243Win.......308Win........300WM.........375H&H Covers the range of applications and passes the Two Dot Test for availability.....at least in a normal world situation.