What’s your five? 5 Calibers to do it all...

If I already have the 12 ga shogun and .22LR then I just follow the numbers. 5, 6, 7, 8.
For reloading (dies, etc), barrel life, and relatively easy carry here is my choices. I guess I am a traditionalist.

6.5 Creedmoor
7mm Rem Mag
.308 Win
.338 Lapua

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
.25-06, .308, 6.5x55, 6.5x47, .223

Here's my list.
22lr (a must have for everyone)
223 Remington (also must have)
6.5x47 lapua (because it's not a Creedmoor lol)
300 win mag ( most versatile caliber on earth)
338 RUM (big enough to kill anything but still practical)

If ELR shooting comes into the mix I suppose I'd swap the 338 rum for a 33xc

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
22LR,12ga,6.5PRC,300win mag, and my 375 H&H. these are the 5 I have and shoot and have hunted with all over the world wi

Hey guys,

375 ruger
20 ga.

.22-250 - for small critters that need killin
12 gauge - gotta have a scattergun
.300 win - for 90% of NA big game hunting
.375 H&H - the best all-round single caliber for Africa
.416 Rigby (or Rem) - for when they bite back or can stomp you.

Hey guys,

22LR
243 for varmints
7mm08 Regular game and light carry
300 weatherby mag for hard hitting at long range
338 win mag or 33 Nosler for the big stuff

Africa is just not in my wheelhouse

Recent Posts