What’s your five? 5 Calibers to do it all...

While 5 is probably sufficient to cover the bases, it's definitely not as much fun as having multiple choices in each bracket.

22-250 (222 and 223)
7-08
6.5 PRC (270 and 30-06)
300 win mag

22 LR (Make food from squirrel and rabbit)

12 Gauge (Make food from birds, home defense)

.20 Practical (Make shifty small game food from 500 in without "military grade" ammo, home defense)

25-06 (Make food from deer, hog, elk, antelope)

9mm (Protecting said food mentioned above)

If I can go to Africa to hunt, I can afford to have more than 5 guns.

Reading thru everyone's post there are a few of the new guys that creep in every now and then, 28 nosler and 6.5 creedmoor. Two cartridges seem to be at the top of a lot of people's list, the tried and true 300 Win Mag and another not so new but not so old cartridge the 338 RUM/Edge. You could throw the 338 Lapua and its Ackley Improved variant in there too, as well as, the 340 wby, as all three of them are very similar in performance, with the Ackley rising to the top by about 100 fps. The others that seem to be up there on people's list are the 22-250/22-250 AI, 7mm Rem Mag, 270 Winchester, and 257 wby. The 375 H&H/375 Improved seems to be the most popular for the stuff that will kill you, dinos and such. I don't know that you could draw any difinitive conclusions from this but it appears most of us would tend to stick with the tried and true over the newer gucci stuff. If I had to guess it probably has more to do with ammo selection and availability than anything. Being able to get ammo wherever you are in the world at the time is important. The other reason is these calibers just plain getter done!😁 Good post guys! Keep them coming!
In the past when these were presented seen the 30-06 a lot. It seems that the hunting culture is starting to go away from the o'reliable.

I'll play
17 Mach 2 - squirrels and other yard varmit.
204 ruger - bigger yard varmit up to and including crop damage deer.
7 mm08- general purpose deer sized game
338 win mag - just because I don't feel you can go wrong with it! Ever!
44 super red hawk for back up whatever you want and or self defense
I find myself teedering back and forth between the 7mm08 and the 260. It is hard to say which is better. Started both my boys off on a 7mm08 and a nephew on a 260. Both are great cartridges, especially for deer! They have killed a bunch of deer with them.

In the past when these were presented seen the 30-06 a lot. It seems that the hunting culture is starting to go away from the o'reliable.
I don't know that people are trending away from it as much. I think it just falls right in the middle of the pack. When you give people choices especially when we are talking LRH they tend to pick more specialized cartridges. I bet if we rephrased the question and said you could only have one it would rise pretty close to the top of everybodies list.

Funny how every now and then a thread takes off...good one! I'll take the 22LR and a .12 Gauge freebies offered and go with...

.270 wsm
300 PRC
338 EDGE

223- varmints
243- pigs/deer/antelope
308- deer/black bear
30-06- Anything in North America
375 H&H- because I'll get one some day

Last edited:
22 LR (Make food from squirrel and rabbit)

12 Gauge (Make food from birds, home defense)

.20 Practical (Make shifty small game food from 500 in without "military grade" ammo, home defense)

25-06 (Make food from deer, hog, elk, antelope)

9mm (Protecting said food mentioned above)

If I can go to Africa to hunt, I can afford to have more than 5 guns.
Your are correct my friend! In all honesty most of the Safaris I have been associated with, which is very limited, have all the guns you need, often times you can borrow or rent them. I haven't been out of the lower 48 or hunted outside of Alabama or Tennesse since 2015. Several of my friends who have gone will buy a CZ African 550 have it shipped ahead of time to Africa and just gift them as a tip to their guides when they leave so the don't have to go through the hassle of traveling with or bringing a gun back into the country. We had a bear hunt setup to go to Alaska last year before covid but now it looks like it may be a few years before we get a chance to go back. A big brown is on my bucket list.

Last edited:
7mm-mag or .280Ai (I have both)
.22lr
.45/70

Shotguns? I have them all (except 10ga). They're like golf clubs. .410, 28, 16, 20, 12.. It's a disease.

But my favorite rifle to shoot? My .257AI. Just because I'm weird like that.