What’s your five? 5 Calibers to do it all...

Paladin300

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???

My personal choices are a little different than what's most practical haha, but I'll play along. I love these types of posts!

.22LR
6mm-284
.284 Win/Norma Match
.308 Norma Magnum
.375 Ruger

EDIT: Since we are assuming we have a 22LR, then I would make my first choice a .22 BR setup for 60-75gr bullets.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for contributing! Keep them coming! Let me help us out a little. I am going to give you two freebies. Let's awesome everyone has a 22LR and a shotgun (i.e. 12ga etc.) of some sort. What are your other five and why?

I said 270 because as I have stated before it was my first love!😂 But they are hard to beat in a light weight mountain rifle. It would be my choice for sheep or anything I have to hike in to kill at ranges out to 750 yards as well as whitetail. My next choice would be my universal big bore for bears and dangerous game out to 400 yards, 375 H&H. It would be a more traditional medium weight sporter of some type. Third I would choose 300 Win Mag for elk, Moose, kudu etc., a medium weight sporter as well. Then a 338 RUM big barreled heavy varmint barreled gun for all things beyond a 1000 yards. Finally, 308, because everybody needs one, a varmint configuration of some sort for the little critters out to 500 yards or so. I might would replace that with a 6.5 of some sort but I'd have to give it some thought. I do like 6.5s.

If we were going by continent or region. Lower 48 (270, 308, 300WM), Alaska (270, 300, 338), Africa (270, 300, 375).😁

Last edited: