What’s your five? 5 Calibers to do it all...

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
12 gauge 22lr 243 28 Nosler and of course 30-06

Agreed! The 375 is probably not the best LRH elk medicine. I prefer the 338 RUM running 265 ABLRs at 2850-2900fps. Dangerous game is a different story because I have a hard fast rule I will not shoot anything that has a lot of teeth or dangerous hooves or horns and a bad attitude beyond 350 yards. Nothing worse than having to go in the bush after a wounded grizzly, lion or Cape buffalo.

The discussion was on the ethics of using the 338 on DG where legal. As I stated, I prefer my 375 for DG but where legal I would not hesitate to use a 338. 7mm and 30 cal are getting a little light for African DG but are perfect for North America and even grizzlies. A guide friends go to is an 06 for all things Alaska. Africa is a little different. Those critter tend to be a little tougher than there North American counter parts.
Agree with you 100% although I did take a Cape Buffalo and Blue Wildabeast in the early 90's when I was posted at the embassy in Tanzania with a 7mm STW. Don't think they will let you use a 7mm now!

Bwana Barry what makes you choose the 9.3x62 over the 375 for your big gun especially since you said if you only had one it would be a 375? My reason for asking is I have owned and presently own several 375 H&Hs. I have also owned a 458 Lott. All bolt guns. I recently passed over a Merkel double precisely because it was in 9.3x62. I have never owned one but was looking for a 375 or 416. Think I should rethink that. It was a good deal I just wasn't up on the cartridge. Enlighten me! How does the 9.3 stack up next to the 375 or 416?🤔
I did reply but somehow it got lost...
Reason? Only sentimental and more about the actual gun / rifle than ballistics etc.
(But a Heym 375 double would be my next choice.)

Hey guys,

I've been watching our threads for a while now and curiosity has got the best of me. With so many great choices out there for LRH which cartridges and calibers really set themselves apart from the rest, if any? Which ones make almost everyone's must have list? The reality is most people can't afford a half dozen rifles or more, so if you had the opportunity to hunt the world for everything from groundhogs to elephants and were limited to 5 cartridges or less what would they be? Just curious which ones consistently rise to the top and if any of the new Gucci cartridges make the cut or we wind up sticking with the tried and true. Feel free to state your reason or uses for each cartridge. I am not looking for a debate. There are no wrong answers. Everyone has there favorites. Just curious if there is any consistency? I think it could help some of the new guys narrow there choices when selecting their next cartridge....

I'll start! 308, 270 win, 300 WIn Mag, 338 RUM, 375 H&H. What are your thoughts???
Hey guys,

Well to hunt the big 5 in Africa it's 375 cal limited.The last I heard anyway. So 375 RUM, 7-300, 260 Remington, 5.56/223, 22LR. But if I had only 1 choice it would be the 7-300.

Hello, for North America,

22 rimfire
222 to 6mm for deer, Antelope and varmints
6.5's for midsize game and long range work
300 magnums for Elk and larger game
.375 H&H for Alaskan Bears etc.

Gene so

Recent Posts