What’s your favourite hunting arrow?

I used to shoot Axis & ACC for years, but was never happy with the FOC. I've been shooting Black Eagle X-Impact 300's for a few years now at 28"/70#, both with the regular outsert, and the heavier stainless outserts.

With the regular outsert, total weight is 425g & FOC is ~17% with a 125g head, and they fly/group great out to 110 yards. At 280 fps they have shot through bull elk without hardly slowing down, using a 1-3/4" expandable.

I used some 3rd party stainless outserts this year on the X-Impacts to get more weight & FOC, for a trip to Africa. Ended up at 23% FOC at 565g. Never chrono'd it, but pin gaps widened as expected, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Anyways, totally smoked 1 blue wildebeest at less than 20 yards, which was my only bow opportunity. They grouped fantastic at 100 yards during testing, but I think the "sweet spot" (for my setup) lies around the 500g mark, which will still have 20% FOC with 125g heads.

If you're shooting any kind of distance with wind, stick with the 'skinnies' (5mm) and use small 4-fletch. The difference in drift at 50+ yards is significant, and the fletch choice makes a significant difference in drag & drop as well.

And while the 'skinny arrow penetration in animals' thing gets beaten like a bad mule, all I can say is those X-Impacts hardly slow down on chest shots, and that is on big-chested heavy game. For whitetails / sub-50 yard type stuff, the regular outsert / normal weight setup is great.

On slower bows I've shot the Easton Flatlines and the Victory VAP arrows. When I moved up to the speed bows, I could shoot heavier arrows even faster. So I switched to Easton Axis. Loved the wind bucking abilities of the smaller diameter arrows. However, I didn't' like the fact they didn't have an aluminum tip to protect the edges. I switched to the Bloodline series as they have the aluminum tip and are still a smaller diameter arrow.

If you look at the top of the page you will find the thread was posted in the Bowhunting sub forum, if this does not suit you there is a report button in the lower left and you can voice your concern to the man who created this forum and put a Bowhunting sub forum in it.
Try an English long bow

I shoot mostly Eastons(Axis & FMJ) it depends on the bow and the target animal. I try to have around 9 - 10 grs of arrow wt/# of draw weight. I also want FOC at or above 20% and use a heavy, stout, cut on contact broadhead like Simmons, etc. My arrow speed may suffer a little from shooting what my friends call a pool cue but they always pass thru even if bone is hit. With FMJ's it's a little harder to get the higher FOC I want.

This is long range hunting. I did not that you could take a deer at 700 yards with a bow and arrow. Learn some thing new every day. Where can i get one of those long range bows?
Robert the best I can tell you is one of my Ravin Bows,R-20 with sniper package,I can shoot 125 yards pretty accurate with only a slight crosswind.I have used it shooting at targets at 150yards but there is a lot of varibles to contend with,not so much at 125 though.But 100 yards is accurate all day long,but Ravin only makes 2 different arrows right now .001 & .003 lighted nock in .001.its a blastgoing to rifle range and shooting beside rifle shooters ,they can't believe it.but of course I didn't either till I shot one!

70lb Matthews Heli-m 29.5 draw-
Easton Axis 5mm 340s, slick trick 100 grain 1 inch head. Nothing fancy but nothing has lived yet deer or elk. Fly really well out to 80 yards. The Axis are pretty tough arrows, they make a competition or pro Axis that is guaranteed straighter, for a bit more $$.

My favorite hunting arrow has always been the one with frothy pink blood from broad head to nock . Sorry, couldn't resist.
For what its worth I USE to shoot Carbon Express maximas . Very accurate, fast, and on Ga deer, sliced through like deer were made of hot butter ! Cant shoot anymore and havent looked at what's out there in 10 years . I'm sure arrow tech has steadily improved in those years , but cant see anything doing a much better job.

Recent Posts