What’s your favourite hunting arrow?

If you are cheap any of the gold tip hunter series are quality arrows, I shot very good groups with them for years never had any issue.

I moved to easton 5mm fmj (maybe 6mm) several years ago both because I wanted a heavier set up for elk and because I just felt like trying something new. They are very good as well, capable of shooting very good groups while carrying a lot of energy. The aluminum jacket mitigates a lot of risk of arrow blow up if something goes wrong. They do cost more and catch a lot of flack for being more sensitive than non jacketed arrows. Realistically yes they are more sensitive but it's not very bad at all. I have never had a shaft hold a bend that did not hit the ground, I have had many shafts hit the ground that did not hold a bend. And most of those that hit the ground and were bent hit with a force that would have chipped or broken my old carbon arrows.

I would strongly caution against any arrow requiring an outsert I've known several people to shot them constantly with great results only to get a batch that suddenly snaps on moderate impact.

I know you didnt ask for my advice on broadheads but since that never stops me anyhow....Myself and my brother have stuck a lot of animals with spitfires with great results I cant endorse them enough.

Easton Axis are solid. I'm shooting black eagle deep impacts with the FOC kit and really like them. I didn't have very good luck with Victory VAP's, they weren't as durable as other arrows ive used.
i still have 7 of the first dozen victory vap shafts I bought. Think I've taken 11 deer and a black bear with them so far.

I'm shooting Victory Archery Products TKO's and like them a lot. Their a micro shaft with a weighted adapter up front. Mine are cut at 30" and are very well balanced with both 125 and 150 thunderheads. They're shot from a PSE Omen Pro, 72# 29" draw.
They're fast too. I would definitely recommend a layered foam block for practice if you get them. The standard bag style targets will rip the tips off.
Also, beware of your rest with micro shafts. If it is a fork-style, the shaft might fall through to the riser. I have a QAD rest that works well with the TKO's, it just needed to be adjusted for the height difference from the previous arrows.

If you look at the top of the page you will find the thread was posted in the Bowhunting sub forum, if this does not suit you there is a report button in the lower left and you can voice your concern to the man who created this forum and put a Bowhunting sub forum in it.
yep my mistake

The arrows I've been using the last few years have been carbon express piledriver pass through extremes (the small diameter ones) and while I've never had really nice arrows to know any real difference they have shot great out of my 70lb no cam, I shot a mediocre 8 point this past season with them and a magnus stinger buzzcut at 32 yards and it never even hesitated passing right on through.

I believe I got a dozen online for 50-60 bucks.

I used to shoot gold tip pro hunters. Now I use a Easton axis 5mm with a rage hypodermic. My bow is a bowtech realm-x 70# 27.5 in draw. So far I really like the easton axis. Blew right through a does shoulder this fall and the arrow was buried in the dirt.

Im using the 6mm Easton FMJs cut to 29" and tipped with rage hypodermic broadheads. I shoot 70lbs. I've only killed a couple critters with this set up. A whitetail doe and a Corsican sheep down in TX. Shoots completely through both of those with ease.

I'd go Gold Tip. Loving the new Airstrike set up heavy FOC. Just keep in mind if you go to a FMJ or Axis you have aluminum in your arrow that will hold memory. Then you're not getting the straightness you paid for. If anyone doesn't believe me buy a $15 arrow spinner and see for yourself. Same goes for arrows with filler that aren't pure carbon.

I'd go Gold Tip. Loving the new Airstrike set up heavy FOC. Just keep in mind if you go to a FMJ or Axis you have aluminum in your arrow that will hold memory. Then you're not getting the straightness you paid for. If anyone doesn't believe me buy a $15 arrow spinner and see for yourself. Same goes for arrows with filler that aren't pure carbon.
The axis is all carbon. Only the fmj has aluminum. But yes I agree that's why I chose the axis and not the fmj. That and when your practicing and you get your arrows too tight that aluminum will peel. Seen it happen to a friend.

I was shooting carbon express maxima blue streak select arrows for the longest time and loved them and finally with last years season approaching and forgetting a buddy borrowed my arrows and never return I ran to my local archery store and the only arrow they had was Easton power flights. They've been okay, killed two deer with them but don't find them to be as fast or group as well. Was looking as the carbon express maxima hunter's but never tried them before.

most likely the only use would be deer and turkey. But have been trying to do a bear or moose hunt with the boys since every year we do rifle why not try something different.

Last edited:
I used to shoot Axis & ACC for years, but was never happy with the FOC. I've been shooting Black Eagle X-Impact 300's for a few years now at 28"/70#, both with the regular outsert, and heavier stainless outserts.

With the regular outsert, total weight is 425g & FOC is ~17% with a 125g head, and they fly/group great out to 110 yards. At 280 fps they have shot through bull elk without hardly slowing down, using a 1-3/4" expandable.

I used stainless outserts this year on the X-Impacts to get more weight & FOC, for a trip to Africa. Ended up at 23% FOC at 565g. Never chrono'd it, but pin gaps widened as expected, which is not necessarily a bad thing. Anyways, totally smoked 1 blue wildebeest at less than 20 yards, which was my only bow opportunity. They grouped fantastic at 100 yards during testing, but I think the "sweet spot" (for my setup) lies around the 500g mark, which will still have 20% FOC with 125g heads.

If you're shooting any kind of distance with wind, stick with the 'skinnies' (5mm) and use small 4-fletch. The difference in drift at 50+ yards is significant, and the fletch choice makes a significant difference in drag & drop as well.

And while the 'skinny arrow penetration in animals' thing gets beaten like a bad mule, all I can say is those X-Impacts hardly slow down on chest shots, and that is on big-chested heavy game. For whitetails / sub-50 yard type stuff, the regular outsert / normal weight setup is great.

Last edited: