What’s your favorite hunting action?

Like many of you who have suggested it I, too, am a Remington fan. I made up a 7-08 on my modified Mohawk action a few years ago with a 21 inch Hart stainless barrel and some custom work on the 600 trigger. I couldn't find an aftermarket trigger for these rifles and aftermarket stocks are rare so I had to make one, but the results were spectacular as a lightweight, accurate and tough hunting rifle. It especially likes the 139 grain GMX and puts them out at just under 2900fps, which makes it fine for all manner of deer and sheep. Saving a half pound with titanium or gaining a shorter throw with a 60 degree bolt would be nice, particularly if you need fast follow up shots, but it is seldom worth the extra cash.

ok so I'm considering doing a custom 7mm08 for deer in California what are some of the better custom actions for a hunting rifle? Not looking to build a bench gun but something that can be packed around the hills? I have been told some work better than others for hunting due to some being built to tight for a reliable hunting gun?
I'm Remington shooter. I use Remington actions, mostly used one. I get them form adds in the paper, on eBay.

ok so I'm considering doing a custom 7mm08 for deer in California what are some of the better custom actions for a hunting rifle? Not looking to build a bench gun but something that can be packed around the hills? I have been told some work better than others for hunting due to some being built to tight for a reliable hunting gun?

For me, this is budget and personal preference driven. For factory and DIY, Savage actions are hard to beat. For custom, I like Big Horn Arms.

While my favorite short action is my Surgeon 591, I have been using a Cooper 52, long action in 6.5x284 for the bulk of my LR Hunting for the last 8 years. A 3 lug, fluted bolt, the accuracy, smoothness and operational reliabilty has proven to be excellent. It's approaching 1000 rounds, and has accounted for a few dozen game animals, and about the same number of varmints out to 1200 yards.
AC5FD113-70A5-407A-9F68-A6FEBFF92C9D.jpeg

I'm having a 6.5 GAP built on a Defiance Deviant Ultralight with a Proof Sendero light barrel. If you opt for the aluminum bolt shroud and aluminum bolt handle it is very light. I have two other Defiance actions on hunting rifles and have never had a problem. I would also check out the Bighorn actions.

Al

While my favorite short action is my Surgeon 591, I have been using a Cooper 52, long action in 6.5x284 for the bulk of my LR Hunting for the last 8 years. A 3 lug, fluted bolt, the accuracy, smoothness and operational reliabilty has proven to be excellent. It's approaching 1000 rounds, and has accounted for a few dozen game animals, and about the same number of varmints out to 1200 yards.
View attachment 107792

Greyfox,
How do you like the trigger on that cooper? I have been thinking of picking one up. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.