What’s your favorite caliber for deer?

Seems a sensible set up!

If I were honestly hunting in thicker stuff with not much chance of a long shot (and that stuff is plentiful where I live, the edge of getting into northern Saskatchewan not the flatland prairie just a little bit south from here) I'd opt for my 8mm mauser or borrow dads 30-30. Not even about the cartridges, but the rifles are short, fast handling, and unscoped. Perfect for that kind of work.

Dedicated prep for long shots my .300 win mag set up all day.

Mixed possibilities and not wanting to carry a heavy heavy rifle around in the event of putting some miles on while still needing to be able to reach out its either the .257 weatherby or the .270 Winchester.
In these areas up here with Dense Woods I want to hit em HARD especially if no snow cuz in one jump they can disappear and trailing can be a battle if it's ever needed. Close to 70-80 yards i neck shoot

In these areas up here with Dense Woods I want to hit em HARD especially if no snow cuz in one jump they can disappear and trailing can be a battle if it's ever needed. Close to 70-80 yards i neck shoot
makes sense. I've never had to track an animal without snow on the ground where I live given when deer season is.

Stupid chores getting in the way of important things - like shooting!
Look at my profile pic, that was last week when I took a break from staining & putting on Poly
New Vortex 3x10 Viper on a M70 RH 06 I've had for omg 40 years, killed more stuff than the plague with that.
In that picture the Abolt stainless Stalker 270 is on the bags 💼

Last edited:

I know about timber, I grew up hunting in Central Louisiana . Where I hunted, 100 yards was a very long shot!

Though, neck shots and head shots are something I won't do! No judgement…..just not comfortable with them! memtb

I know about timber, I grew up hunting in Central Louisiana . Where I hunted, 100 yards was a very long shot!

Though, neck shots and head shots are something I won't do! No judgement…..just not comfortable with them! memtb
Lol I even head shot does when I hunted by Wibeaux & Baker MT with that M70 06'. Hunted mostly by the Breaks

As the mink ran down the road….. 😀😂🤣