What’s your favorite caliber for deer?

My rifle is 9 lbs. 1 ounce …..fully loaded, scoped, and slung with a 24" barrel. I wouldn't want it any heavier or any longer! Near perfect the way it is! 😉 memtb
I haven't weighed the Norma. Maybe I will tonight haha. But I'll have to show you a picture close up of what kind of truck axle of a barrel was put on it. I have no idea what the previous owner was trying to accomplish with it but it seems weird. Actually shoulders with great balance though and the weight means there's lots of .30-06 class rifles that kick way harder.

I haven't weighed the Norma. Maybe I will tonight haha. But I'll have to show you a picture close up of what kind of truck axle of a barrel was put on it. I have no idea what the previous owner was trying to accomplish with it but it seems weird. Actually shoulders with great balance though and the weight means there's lots of .30-06 class rifles that kick way harder.

I'll bet that it virtually "snaps" right into the shoulder! Great for "snap" shots…..a little tough to carry all day in the hills! 😉 memtb

Yeah, they only made a few JM's with the 444 high comb stock... for "lefties and righties" I think they dropped it after a year or two. This one is an original right down to the sling, swivels, and hammer cocking assist. I also had the mod 444S in the early 70s rifle model with the pistol grip lever, great rifle, my son has that rifle now. Here's a pic when both were together. Cheers.

View attachment 452079
With JM stamps you own diamonds 🤩🤩💖💖 I've thought of a low power scope for mine, @ 55 my eyes aren't as good anymore lol & yea I wear glasses.
What loads do you shoot?

On the scope, I like the Leupold 1x4 but... now I'm running an Aimpoint 9000L with a 2 MOA dot now and love it.

There are only two loads that I run in my .444 Rem

(1) Case: Starline
Primer: WLR
Powder: IMR-4198 (46.0grs.)
Bullet: Nosler 240gr JSP
Vel's: 2350 fps
This has been my go-to Whitetail deer load.

(2) Case: Starline
Primer: Federal 210
Powder: IMR-4198 (45.5grs.)
Bullet: Nosler 250 JHP Partition
Vel's: 2250 fps
This is my do-all hunting load if it "needs" dead, Elk, Bear, Deer, etc! It does it. It's the best load I've ever found in the .444 Rem cartridge so far, there are a couple of others, but... my rifle loves this one.

All the loads are within SAMMI no pressure in my rifle. But.. start low 10% and work up. Lee Factory crimp die on bullet cannelure groove.

Good luck, :) Cheers.

I'll bet that it virtually "snaps" right into the shoulder! Great for "snap" shots…..a little tough to carry all day in the hills! 😉 memtb
Weighed the Norma today out of curiosity. With no scope on it or sling or ammo, just the gun, she's 9.4 pounds. The crown is recessed. At the muzzle the barrel diameter is 22mm or .866 of an inch. And again, just about 28 inches of that barrel haha.

Weighed the Norma today out of curiosity. With no scope on it or sling or ammo, just the gun, she's 9.4 pounds. The crown is recessed. At the muzzle the barrel diameter is 22mm or .866 of an inch. And again, just about 28 inches of that barrel haha.

Well……it shouldn't kick much! 🙂

Kinda like carrying a lead sled while hunt'n! 😉 memtb

Actually tho I don't quite get the logic of putting a monstrous long heavy barrel with a target crown on this kind of rifle and chambering it in this kind of cartridge.

I can only assume it was intended to be used from a blind or stand…..and not still hunted with. Well, at least not all day walks in the timber! 😁 memtb

Has been 7 mm RM, really more than needed for deer though. Still like it better than 308, 243. Haven't shot a deer with my 6.5 CM yet, that's a possibility worked beautifully on a pronghorn last year.

Hoping my 6.5 PRC rifle which is enroute will become my new favorite 🤣. On the other hand, there's always another rifle to buy…

Ya have me beat a bit in velocity……should be a pretty good "all around load"!

My policy for a very long time, one rifle, one cartridge, one bullet, one load, one zero……for all of my hunting! The only changes that have been made is the load…..as Barnes continued to improve their technology!

I have to keep things simple…..as not to confuse myself! 😉 memtb
When I bought that Lazermark 378, the guy had a package deal, I could've split it but didn't cuz it was way to much Ammo, So I got the rifle for a thousand, and another 1000 for the ammunition which is all Weatherby Factory, 270's & 300's all SP & thru time I've bought some Solids lol if I ever run into a Cape Buffalo 🐃 in northern Mn or win the Lottery & get to Africa

Ya have me beat a bit in velocity……should be a pretty good "all around load"!

My policy for a very long time, one rifle, one cartridge, one bullet, one load, one zero……for all of my hunting! The only changes that have been made is the load…..as Barnes continued to improve their technology!

I have to keep things simple…..as not to confuse myself! 😉 memtb
I really hear you on this‼️I have way too many to shoot 'em all regularly lol I just reloaded 900 rounds of 243, 500 for 25-06, 800 for 270, working on 06', 308 & 223 after that, then 17 REM & 204, 22-250 is doing ok
& work starts soon lol
Currently putting in Ash Flooring in the Living room

I really hear you on this‼️I have way too many to shoot 'em all regularly lol I just reloaded 900 rounds of 243, 500 for 25-06, 800 for 270, working on 06', 308 & 223 after that, then 17 REM & 204, 22-250 is doing ok
& work starts soon lol

You must have something against keeping money in your pocket! 🙀😂 memtb

& work starts soon lol
Stupid chores getting in the way of important things - like shooting!