What’s your favorite caliber for deer?

The PRC's don't seem to be represented in this post. Makes me go hmmmmm.....Cause if 6.5 PRC had come out 30yrs ago, just don't think I'd have any other 264. 260 and 25/06 best calibers for animals under 400 lbs imho.....Just saying.

Up here in Northern MN timber wolf country in the Thick, shots can be measured in feet to average 40-75 yards
Here i like the 444 Marlin
Where there are shooting lanes and yardage is from feet to 2-300 yards
35 Whelen, 200 gr @ 2900 omg 🤩
Powerline Hunting - 300 WinMag

Up here in Northern MN timber wolf country in the Thick, shots can be measured in feet to average 40-75 yards
Seems a sensible set up!

If I were honestly hunting in thicker stuff with not much chance of a long shot (and that stuff is plentiful where I live, the edge of getting into northern Saskatchewan not the flatland prairie just a little bit south from here) I'd opt for my 8mm mauser or borrow dads 30-30. Not even about the cartridges, but the rifles are short, fast handling, and unscoped. Perfect for that kind of work.

Dedicated prep for long shots my .300 win mag set up all day.

Mixed possibilities and not wanting to carry a heavy heavy rifle around in the event of putting some miles on while still needing to be able to reach out its either the .257 weatherby or the .270 Winchester.

Lmao I've shot deer 🦌 with my 378 🤣 with 270's

Ya have me beat a bit in velocity……should be a pretty good "all around load"!

My policy for a very long time, one rifle, one cartridge, one bullet, one load, one zero……for all of my hunting! The only changes that have been made is the load…..as Barnes continued to improve their technology!

I have to keep things simple…..as not to confuse myself! 😉 memtb

Seems a sensible set up!

If I were honestly hunting in thicker stuff with not much chance of a long shot (and that stuff is plentiful where I live, the edge of getting into northern Saskatchewan not the flatland prairie just a little bit south from here) I'd opt for my 8mm mauser or borrow dads 30-30. Not even about the cartridges, but the rifles are short, fast handling, and unscoped. Perfect for that kind of work.

Dedicated prep for long shots my .300 win mag set up all day.

Mixed possibilities and not wanting to carry a heavy heavy rifle around in the event of putting some miles on while still needing to be able to reach out its either the .257 weatherby or the .270 Winchester.

Are your .257's and 270's pretty light? How light, full up ready to hunt?

You can have relatively light larger bores, the bigger the hole …..the less the barrel weighs! 😉 memtb

Are your .257's and 270's pretty light? How light, full up ready to hunt?

You can have relatively light larger bores, the bigger the hole …..the less the barrel weighs! 😉 memtb
They're just standard sporters, a savage 111 and a wby vanguard.

The .300 is a savage long range hunter with a heavier scope as well, the rig is about 12.5 pounds. And the .358 Norma has a crazy thick 27.75 inch pipe on it. Love both those guns but they're not the most fun to carry all day (and the Norma is just stupid long haha)

I'm a "big" fan of the .444 Rem I have one, in a mint 1960s rifle version of the Marlin 444 a workhouse of a setup and cartridge. ;) Cheeer

Marlin 444 6.jpg

I'm a "big" fan of the .444 Rem I have one, in a mint 1960s rifle version of the Marlin 444 a workhouse of a setup and cartridge. ;) Cheeer

View attachment 452039
Mine is one of the early crossbolt safety versions I got with buying my house. It has a peep sight. I love the Speer 270 SP or deep curl @ 2200 plus. I put a mercury recoil reducer in mine. 300gr @ 2200 KICK. I love your stock ❗lol even though I'm a Lefty
I slicked my action up, smooth as wet glass 🤩

They're just standard sporters, a savage 111 and a wby vanguard.

The .300 is a savage long range hunter with a heavier scope as well, the rig is about 12.5 pounds. And the .358 Norma has a crazy thick 27.75 inch pipe on it. Love both those guns but they're not the most fun to carry all day (and the Norma is just stupid long haha)

My rifle is 9 lbs. 1 ounce …..fully loaded, scoped, and slung with a 24" barrel. I wouldn't want it any heavier or any longer! Near perfect the way it is! 😉 memtb

Mine is one of the early crossbolt safety versions I got with buying my house. It has a peep sight. I love the Speer 270 SP or deep curl @ 2200 plus. I put a mercury recoil reducer in mine. 300gr @ 2200 KICK. I love your stock ❗lol even though I'm a Lefty
I slicked my action up, smooth as wet glass 🤩
Yeah, they only made a few JM's with the 444 high comb stock... for "lefties and righties" I think they dropped it after a year or two. This one is an original right down to the sling, swivels, and hammer cocking assist. I also had the mod 444S in the early 70s rifle model with the pistol grip lever, great rifle, my son has that rifle now. Here's a pic when both were together. Cheers.

Marlins 444 and 444S.jpg