What’s your favorite caliber for deer?

I like the plain, old, vanilla 308 Winchester with 150-165 grain bullets. Coming out of a 20-22 inch barrel here in New England it seems to do the trick even on the big bruiser white tails tipping the scales at over 200 pounds.

I am toying around with the idea of trying 6.5x55 SE next year in the 140 grain range but need to get the rifle built and loads worked up first.

I have 3 project deer rifles at the moment….it'll likely just depend on which one I complete by this time next year.

30 cal 06, 300wsm . i hunt northern new york and east of Albany also, not uncommon to get deer in the 250lb ran or bigger, so you need to anchor them rite now. But I did purchase an X bolt in 6.5 PRC this year so we'll see how that works.

30 cal 06, 300wsm . i hunt northern new york and east of Albany also, not uncommon to get deer in the 250lb ran or bigger, so you need to anchor them rite now. But I did purchase an X bolt in 6.5 PRC this year so we'll see how that works.
Washington county at all?

No fav. Just any caliber with a cartdige that at my shoot ranges with a properly placed shot will drop the deer where it stands. Done it with .223 thru 12g slugs

Recent Posts