What’s your favorite caliber for deer?

Whatever new rifle I have just built.
Currently it's my switch barrel trued Rem 700 Sendero in 264WM 1:8" twist 29" custom contour and 7STW rechambered factory 7RM barrel with 1:9.25" twist 26" long.

Next it will be another switch barrel trued Rem 700 in 6.5-300 Weatherby and 300WM…..just because.

Cheers.

Favorite is my newest rifle that I have not taken hunting yet. The so-to standby's is 257 Roberts or 280 Rem

Tom, here's my .257 Roberts.

Attachments

• E9A91AC5-1B74-4156-A6FE-6FF50B0207F2.jpeg
    E9A91AC5-1B74-4156-A6FE-6FF50B0207F2.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 66
Not sure I have a favorite caliber. I've shot stuff with a lot of different ones. I do have a rifle on order in .284 Winchester. It's a New Ultra Light Arms Model 20, coming in under 5 pounds. Should be a good fit for walking the hills of Idaho. Don't know when it will get here. Just put in the order and try to not think about it for months. ;)

Was .270win. Now it is 6.5x55 swede, tikka T3x with some little upgraded. Gun just shoots and feels amazing. It's my go to for everything from pronghorn to elk.

I am not a one gun hunts all or even a one gun hunts deer guy. I haven't taken as many deer as some have as we have a pretty short and restrictive season in Missouri when compared to neighboring states. I have however taken my share. With that said, every deer I have taken with a .270 win was a bang flop. Those with a .308 win has gone down quick, but some were not dead when they hit the ground and made a few ground kicks. The 6.5 cm has performed very similar to the .308. The other gun I have taken deer with was a .243 win. A lesser sample size with the .243, but of the 3 I have taken, no bang flops and no straight drop downs. They all took a varying amount of steps from about 6 to 50 yds. Admit I never had to track them .

257 weatherby mag has been my favorite the last few years. This year I grabbed several different guns to hunt with. It kept things interesting. I acquired a model 7ks in 7mm br late that I was able to use on 2 doe. I'm thinking I'll be grabbing that gun a lot!