What’s your favorite caliber for deer?

280 rem 140gr Berger VLD
280AI 168 gr Berger VLD
7mm mag 168 gr Berger VLD
Have a new Savage LRH 280AI ordered .
Going to shoot 168 gr Berger in it too.

I killed my first two deer with a .270, then went to 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. This year I'm going back to the .270 and using my Dad's Winchester Model 70 classic with factory ELD-X Precision Hunters or American Whitetail. It likes both just fine. I can't wait til November.

Killed about 150 whitetails with my old B-series Rem 700 .270 Win. Yes, it's a blessing to hunt in the Southeast where the seasons are long and bag limits are generous. Last year I used a 7mm-08. This year it will be a custom Rem Model Seven in 6.5x284 and a custom 22 Creedmoor.

99% of deer surveyed say "Something that will kill me quick." If it's up to me, 7mm Rem Mag. Fast and flat. Good BC, good selection of bullets. Known to tear things up with the wrong bullet at the wrong range with the wrong placement. Just like life. :)

Well here we go
Thick cover.
bow 460sw 45colt or 32 special
Medium range 264 win/ 270 wsm
Long range 264 win or 300 win

Overall 264
I find these post entertaining because so many cannot pick their favorite "not plural" caliber/ cartridge.
So it seems you are saying 264 Win Mag is your choice?
I have an assortment of deer rifles and have killed more with my 257 (25 caliber) Roberts than all others combined and it is my favorite!

Last edited:
I killed my first two deer with a .270, then went to 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor. This year I'm going back to the .270 and using my Dad's Winchester Model 70 classic with factory ELD-X Precision Hunters or American Whitetail. It likes both just fine. I can't wait til November.
My ultra cheap Ruger American in .270 loves the 130 and 140 American Whitetail and they both work great on eastern deer. Just got the last box of ELD-X precision hunter in 178gr. For .308 On the east coast I think at my local Dick's Sporting Goods. Planning on sitting on a pipeline this fall and wanted something that can reach out a bit. On a slightly different note, I know Dick's Sporting has received a bashing for their lack of 2nd amendment support, but it should be noted that their prices on the ammo they have in stock are pretty much pre-pandemic across the board. Don't see a lot of that these days. Just saying.

My son has killed two deer with 123 gr SSTs from a 6.5 Grendel upper on my AR. I bought one of Andy Holbein's Grendel Hunter uppers for him. He's still not big enough for a compact bolt gun. The AR with the stock collapsed all the way fits him perfectly.

My son has killed two deer with 123 gr SSTs from a 6.5 Grendel upper on my AR. I bought one of Andy Holbein's Grendel Hunter uppers for him. He's still not big enough for a compact bolt gun. The AR with the stock collapsed all the way fits him perfectly.

That's the exact reason I built my Grendel. My 10yr old daughter has found a passion for hunting and I want something tame for her . I have hunted with a Tikka in 308 for several years . It never got shot this past year ,the 6.5 Grendel proved it self and I took it every time she wasnt hunting with me
With the 123g sst it has proven to be a deer slayer here in the hardwood and pastures of South Middle TN.
Built mine form an AeroPrecision upper lower and a 18" Lilja barrel. Adjustable stock for her short LOP. It maybe the most accurate rifle I own.