What’s your favorite big game hunt ?

My favorite hunt was the first time I packed in 12 miles on horseback Elk hunting for the first Elk tag I had drawn in Idaho. We had gotten in a week before the hunt opened and had scouted many nice bulls. The worst part was the number of wolves that we watched attacking and killing Elk. Then they would leave them and attack others just for the fun of it. This was when I realized what a huge mistake that the wolf introduction program was going to be on big game in Idaho and we couldn't do anything about it at that point in time. Watching them take down Elk was something I will never forget.

after hunting in a lot of countries including six hunting trips to africa, i always come home to hunt the amazing turkey in the spring time. to me its alway a top shelf hunt for what is a big game bird in our state.
Nothing quite like calling in one of those thunder chickens in the spring.

So what is your absolute favorite big game hunt? The one that you tell everyone they MUST go on! Lets hear details; species, location, outfitter or DIY, successful or not, going back, etc.
I have been on a number of different hunts and want to start thinking about the next adventure
The Greatest Challenges are Dangerous game hunts. For me so far that's limited to Africa as I've not yet had a chance to hunt Grizzly or Bison in N. America.

It's not about the range, it's about standing there eyeball to eyeball with an animal that would just as soon kill you as run around you if you make a poor shot.

On the plains or in the mountains of NA, it would be trophy deer or elk, I'll even include Antelope (pronghorn) because of the challenging distances and conditions.

Hopefully when I get settled into the new digs I'll add some wild Sheep and Goats to that list.

Blacktail deer in Washington has a special spot in my heart for sure. The late 4 day November season I have never missed. Nothing better that glossing a clear cut looking for black antlered rutted out bucks chasing does through the young fir trees. It brings me Pease

Recent Posts