What’s your favorite big game hunt ?

Every year, me and a couple long time friends drive to northern Saskatchewan for DIY moose. We quad into the bush 10 kilometres or so and set up camp. We would be maybe 100k from the NWT where we go. We spend our week hunting moose and catching 25lb lake trout. I have never shot a moose up there, but it doesn't really matter to me. For me, the prize is being there. A moose would be a big bonus, but not the most important thing. That's the week I look most forward to every year.

Favorite Hunts, the last few Years,.. have been, Elk hunting, both Archery and Rifle with, son and grandson, Spike Camping, in the Back country.
We are going, Rifle Elk Hunting, in the Sawtooths in, a couple of weeks and am looking forward to being with them, again !
One very Memorable Day, a few years ago, was when my son Arrowed, a nice 5 X 5 Bull and the 3 of us carried, the WHOLE Elk ( quartered of course ) , in ONE trip, back to the Truck ( I was, a little younger,.. then ! ). YUP, we swore that, we'd do TWO trips,.. NEXT, Time ! ( LOL )
This year my, other grandson, Cameron ( 12 Y/o ) is starting on, Deer and Antelope, using my .243 Win. Tikka "Lefty", Rifle.
My son was donated, a left handed Tikka stock that, he cut shorter, to fit Cam and he's, Lovin', it !
What, a Thrill watching him shoot, Steel Plates, to get ready for his Hunts !
Yup,. a proud father and grandpa, HERE !

Last edited:
One shot with my muzzy
604 yards.

Attachments

• 6FC4250F-7CC6-45E4-9EB4-F75260FA0377.jpeg
    6FC4250F-7CC6-45E4-9EB4-F75260FA0377.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 95
Being a flatlander I have always really enjoyed every trip to the mountains out west. Doesn't matter much, Mule Deer, Elk, Sheep, the hunts are similar and very exciting to a flatlander. Turkeys, killed enough to no longer be exciting. Replaced that with predators. Hogs and deer, sick of cleaning them. But, there is something magical about laying in a cereal field in Manitoba and having what seems like every Canada goose in North America trying to land at your feet. Breath taking for any hunter. This is a sight every hunter should experience, and one of the prettiest in the wild. Always wanted to jump a float plane in Selkirk while I was up there and get dropped off further north to hunt moose and caribou, but never had the time. Seemed like a waste, we always stay at a B&B where all the pilots bunk and had offers for a ride. But, in all fairness, after chasing geese for a week we were always done anyway. As we age our bodies can only handle so much fun.

The most enjoyable hunt I ever had was for my Shiras moose. It took me 27 years putting in for the one in a lifetime tag and get drawn. So, the excitement began when I found out I had drawn a tag. It transferred into my spending 29 days scouting for the moose that I wanted, as I observed over 30 nice bulls covering over a hundred of miles of terrain. Along the path, I came across huge bull elk, great muley bucks, and a couple of mt. lions but, never lost my focus on moose. When I decided on the animal I would take, when I found him again, he had broken off most of his eye guards and a large piece of his right horn, so I had to go after my 2nd choice. This proved to be very fortunate, as this bull measured out better than my first choice, after I got to see him up close. I took three days to shoot him, as he was in a horrible spot to get him out for the first 2 1/2 days. He ended up measuring larger than the number three bull taken at that time. When you have this much time to study your quarry it is extremely enjoyable, to be sure and to this day, many years later, I still think about taking the 7x7 Royal elk I came across on my one in a lifetime moose hunting trip. Then, again, I also look at my bull moose hanging above my fireplace every day from my recliner and relive the hunt of my lifetime.

Last edited: