What’s wrong with the SA 2020 Waypoint rifle?

westexhunt

I'm not finding much about it with the search function, it seems like a solid rifle even at a higher price point than what they are selling at. Several for sale locally and online but no one is talking about it much. Short on caliber offerings but otherwise I can't find a reason to knock it.

I've heard good things about them.

They aren't pushing it super hard in marketing and I would imagine the market for factory 1800$ hunting rifles isn't insanely large within typical forum members.

There is definitely competition at this price point. When you approach $3k for a factory rifle, it better be special. I agree that you don't hear that much good or bad about the waypoint. I believe I would kick in the extra $$ and go full custom to get exactly what I wanted.
$3000 bucks for a "full" custom??? Sign me up! Wait a minute. $6000 before delivery, 1 year in the build (if your lucky), and by then you changed your mind and want something else.
Nothing wrong with a full custom rig, but you can shoot the ship outta the other one waiting for delivery.

Last edited:
$3000 bucks for a "full" custom??? Sign me up! Wait a minute. $6000 before delivery, 1 year in the build (if your lucky), and by then you changed your mind and want something else.
Nothing wrong with a full custom rig, but you can shoot the ship outta the other one waiting for delivery.
I'm not saying $3k will get you a full custom. Although if you are patient, you can probably find one lightly used for that range. The SA Waypoint looks the part of a fine rifle, but with all factory offerings, there are compromises. I personally have been looking at the factory offerings in a 30 magnum for a while. There always seems to be a couple of things that stop me from going this route. Be it weight, twist, barrel length, chambering, customer service, etc., it is just hard to find exactly what I want. There comes a time where want trumps need.

I've waited for two years for a 2020 Waypoint in 308 with a adjustable comb but none to be found. I Icalled Springfield arms and they said delivery should be shipping out within a couple of months, didn't happen. After missing deer season witch I planned on using the Springfield 2020, I decided to look for an alternative which was a Christensen arms MPR in 308. Looking back there's no regret, it was a blessing to have a far superior rife with more offerings then the Springfield 2020. There's an old saying, everything happens for a reason and a good one at that.😃