What’s the optimal bullet weight for the 6.5 Creedmoor?

rlshrumva

I'm trying to find the most accurate loaded ammunition for my 6.5. I've read that generally the 6.5 Creedmoor was meant to shoot bullets in the 130-140 grain range, but I'm interested to hear everyone's thoughts and experience. I especially would like to hear from anyone shooting a Franchi Momentum in the 6.5 as that's the gun I'm using. Thanks in advance for your help!

Factory Loads: Most Tikka's like the Berger 135 Classic Hunter factory loads. Not sure about the Franchi, but it might be worth a try.

Available now:

Thanks for the advice guys! Does anyone else have any insights on factory loaded ammunition for the 6.5 Creedmoor? And anything on factory loads that your Franchi Momentum (in 6.5 Creedmoor) would be amazing!!

My current one shoots 10 shot groups in the 5/8 range at 200 with the 120 amax hornady match ammo. Runs 2930-45 I'm down to the last 5 boxes out of a case I picked up a few years ago. I shoot the 147's almost exclusively but if I didn't buy 5k if them I'd be shooting a 120-130.

1670472295208.png

It's not the load, but the barrel itself! Each has its own characteristics of what's the best for. 5 out of 8 6.5creed barrels (ar10) I've shot hornady 120a-max match factory loads. 3 barrels are aero precision (ap), 1 criterion (cbi) and 1 bsf. In 260rem (ar10) have been hornady 130eld-m.

Originally released they were using 120-125 Hornadys running blitzing speed for long range competitions.

But you didn't state if shooting paper, steel, or critters.

Great stuff everyone!!! Zen asked a good clarifying question: paper, steel or critters? And it's actually critters - I'm principally planning on using the rifle for whitetails and pronghorns. Thanks please keep this helpful conversation going!!