What’s in your quilt?

woodwurx

I've been trying to lighten the load on my total pack weight and have decided to make the switch from a mummy bag to a sleeping quilt. My current synthetic bag with its fleece liner is a whopping 7lbs 5oz. By making the switch, I figure I can shave off 3-5 lbs. I've been looking at the custom build Enlightened Equipment Revelation quilt. I can choose between the treated 850 down or the climashield synthetic fill? They both have their pro's and cons as far as weight and durability go. I'm leaning towards the down fill for it's lighter weight and warmth, but I'm just worried about the effects of moisture from rain or sweat. I elk hunt southern Colorado every year and it seems to rain every other day. I just can't make up my mind on what fill to use and want to hear any experiences or thoughts on your quilt fill? Thanks

i think you could drive yourself nuts trying to weigh all the options. warm is always nice, but make sure you are set up to stay dry, maybe an inflatable sleeping pad or extra groundcloth.... whatever your setup, once its wet or damp its gonna be a looong night. thats what i would worry about if it was me. the down quilt sounds real nice by the way.

You're right on driving yourself nuts on making a decision. I have an inflatable z pad with a 4.4 r value and my 2 man tent has kept me dry so far. I did get caught in a nasty nasty storm several years ago and all my sleeping gear was floating in 2" of water. I always carry a survival bivy and had to go into survival mode. I will check out Wiggy's and see what they have.

I have the EE revelation quilt in 850 downtec. It's a 10 degree and super light and comfortable. Take it from someone who actually has one and uses it regularly that it's well worth it. They are easy to work with and their advertised weights, temp ratings and lead times are very accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to get one. My wife has one also.

I have the EE revelation quilt in 850 downtec. It's a 10 degree and super light and comfortable. Take it from someone who actually has one and uses it regularly that it's well worth it. They are easy to work with and their advertised weights, temp ratings and lead times are very accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to get one. My wife has one also.
I've looked a lot into EE and have definitely made my mind up on buying from them. How long have you had the revelation quilt? Did you buy an off the shelf or made to order? Thanks

Not sure how the weights compare but have you checked out Wiggy's?
I checked out Wiggy's site. Doesn't have what I'm looking for as far as sleeping quilts go, but definitely has some other gear on there I like. Thanks for the suggestion

I used a down sleeping bag way beck when......body moisture will seep into the down making the down collapse from condensation providing less insulation. Now I use a synthetic bag and can add a fleece liner and a gortex outer shell if needed in colder weather. That way I'm flexible for varying seasonal weather.

I used a down sleeping bag way beck when......body moisture will seep into the down making the down collapse from condensation providing less insulation. Now I use a synthetic bag and can add a fleece liner and a gortex outer shell if needed in colder weather. That way I'm flexible for varying seasonal weather.
My current setup is what your using now (synthetic bag and fleece liner weighing in at 7lbs 5oz) the Enlightened Equipment revelation 10 Deg. quilt filled with treated 850 down weighs 21 oz. I guess i just need to research more info on treated down so that I can have confidence in it if it gets a little wet.

I've looked a lot into EE and have definitely made my mind up on buying from them. How long have you had the revelation quilt? Did you buy an off the shelf or made to order? Thanks

I have had mine for 4 years. The input above about the down collapsing with moisture is not the case if you choose the waterproof down options. I have never had that happen with my quilt with over 100 days in it from Washington state to the high elevations of Colorado and Wyoming. Honestly I have also had the best customer service imaginable from enlightened equipment. My three quilts have all been custom ordered and the lead times given were always accurate or they delivered ahead of schedule. PM me and we can talk over the phone if you want more info. Just don't take advice from people who don't have real experience with the product!

I got my wife and daughter to make me one of these-hehe. http://thru-hiker.com/kits/
I did one of the synthetic ones. If you do this remember to measure twice, I mean twenty times and cut once.

I haven't had it in extreme cold but it replaced my issued bag during my workups inside a bivvy. Remember you carry all those daytime warming layers that can go on in your bag to increase nightime warmth and lighten the load in the bag department.

As I am now "growing" out of this one my wife says I will buy another before she makes it again.

I'm not a hunter, I just walk my rifles in the outdoors during hunting season so I can't help there. However, I backpack. I've switched to a quilt myself and love it. This website has great info on light gear, gear lists, gear reviews, recipes, and other stuff.

I got a hammock gear econ 30 and use a sleeping bag liner if it's cold. You're already bringing layers so you can wear them at night too.

Also, this sleeping pad is excellent. Spendy, but excellent. However with this stuff you need to think backpacker with regard to how you treat your gear and not a hunter to beat the crap out of stuff.

https://www.rei.com/product/881575/therm-a-rest-neoair-xtherm-sleeping-pad

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.