What’s in your hunting kit?

Carothers edc2 knife, small but a great knife. I don't like a hunting knife with much over a 3" blade anyways.
I would also look at a semi-custom rifle. There are several shops making some nice rifles ready to go. Nothing wrong with a 300win mag, covers all the hunting a guy will do in america. Decent scope and your set.

Yes they can be a little bit of a hassle. But I've got it all figured out or maybe just spoiled. One blade usually gets me through one animal easily. And when I get back to camp I just pull it apart and put it on the counter and when my wife does dishes she cleans it up:)
Brave man, very brave to post that. You may be cleaning your own knife from now on.‍

The two tools I have to take, wether I'm back roading or hike hunting is a Gerber multitool and a small pair of fencing pliers. Both have proved invaluable. I carry a pretty good Kershaw auto for delicate work. I'd have to go with something 1911 for a pistol. I dont care for Glocks grip nor Sigs. Rifles, the sky is the limit these days. Northland shooters supply have actions and barrels. You could get a trued remington action for about 600, a great barrel for 400, then just pick your stock

Hijacking but only slightly, as theft from an automobile plays a part in our discussion here:

About 45 years ago, I had a pre-64 Mod 94 stolen from a friend's pickup. (This was in the days of gun racks in every Texas Pickup truck.). The experience left me paranoid—then when my wife and I had to evacuate from our home—located at the exact landfall point of Hurricane Harvey, I became even more paranoid—given what I had to leave in the truck at hotels for two weeks.

I now have invested in the strongest all-aluminum bed cover available, a strong steel long-gun safe under the back seat, and a steel console vault with combination lock between the front seats.

Not perfect—anything can be opened—but for about $3K, it makes theft a helluva lot harder.

Best regards,

Russ

Hijacking but only slightly, as theft from an automobile plays a part in our discussion here:

About 45 years ago, I had a pre-64 Mod 94 stolen from a friend's pickup. (This was in the days of gun racks in every Texas Pickup truck.). The experience left me paranoid—then when my wife and I had to evacuate from our home—located at the exact landfall point of Hurricane Harvey, I became even more paranoid—given what I had to leave in the truck at hotels for two weeks.

I now have invested in the strongest all-aluminum bed cover available, a strong steel long-gun safe under the back seat, and a steel console vault with combination lock between the front seats.

Not perfect—anything can be opened—but for about $3K, it makes theft a helluva lot harder.

Best regards,

Russ

I am a lot more paranoid now than I ever was before, I don't like having to lock my stuff up. I'd much rather trust people and assume the best of folks, but they proved me wrong in a big way. I don't place a lot of stock in stuff so loosing my property is okay, but I do feel bad for aiding criminals in obtaining illegal firearms. I'm going to be locking everything up from now on.

Timnterra and John: Exactly. And as an old fart, I can tell you that things have changed—here at least. Perhaps the reason I never lost stuff from my unlocked house in the old days, was that I owned nothing worth stealing—and everyone in town knew it. And as for not experiencing theft from vehicles, the incentive not to steal was due to the fact that whether you broke into a man's truck or ran off with his wife—Texas juries came up with pretty much the same result when you went on trial for turning him into a tea-strainer. Now, like you—I lock it up. Uh, the truck—not the Wife!:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.