What’s happening to LRH?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rifle's were invented for hunting. I do think long range hunting should at least begin at 400 yards.

Well I'm not a LRH. I can understand that originally this forum was based on the interest of Long Range Shooting. I have only been a member for a short time so maybe I should just keep my mouth shut? I see this forum as a wealth of information on so many areas. I always seem to find something that's really interesting to me. I like it I think I'll stay. Time for me to go and set camp up a part of hunting that I like.

I may be totally wrong........but I FEEL the introduction of black rifle fads, fad cartridges with percepted magical abilities have eaten into our sport.

As a whole, the LR community of new shooters are obsessed with high BC bullets in cartridges not really up to the task.

I am not going to pick on new cartridges, these are what make money for gun and cartridge companies.
But HYPE is driving our sport DOWN in my opinion.

I go to this site more than many others due to the wannabes at those sites that really don't know what LR entails.
I ask many how they 'train' for those long shots........many don't even dry fire their guns prior to setting up a training session.
Nor do they set up at home and dry fire with their mat and gear setup.
I can't imagine hunting LR without doing this every night the week prior, just as I do before a match.

Sorry for the long rant, but I am at the point that poor cartridge choice is ruling LR over proper use of cartridges capable of LR.

Cheers.

I doubt I will comfort you here, but forums evolve. Maybe what was once a certain age group of like minded people at some point needs to take on new members, and liking the outcome may become tougher. It is still a premier hunting site though.
I was in a conversation with the owner of Snipers Hide yrs ago, he made the statement that you cannot buy your way into what he called his game. I begged to differ, capable gun smiths are all over this country building accurate rifles. The tools available to learn are at your fingertips today. Whether at the reloading bench, apps for dopes, and the optics today.
What may have taken you years to learn or accomplish, people are doing the same in a fraction of the time and can be vocal about it, lol
With growth comes diversity, fact of life.

Cartridge, rifle, bullet design, barrel manufacture, optics, have all made huge gains in the last 10-15- starting 20 years ago. Cell phones with more computing power than Apollo 11, Dial in the scope requires very little any more. Temp, distance, angle, ... You all know, slide rule mill dot master and compasses are no longer carried.
*** NMLRA Had a 1000 yard open sight match, conventional type Black powder.
*** Saw a 1500 yard match listed some where also.
## You can write a article of what is working for you, what you like. Rather than letting questions steer the forums... It can be what YOU make it.

We have a few forums up here above the 49th parallel,,, they are tough to fit into at times,,, so this forum is deffinatly the hang out...

There are lots of hunting and out-doors forums out there in this big old world,,, this forum and its partisapants really rock when it comes to sharing of information,,, that's a real plus...

A person can follow along or share their ideas that works for them,,, I agree,,, what works for one person might not work for others... Getting all wound up and bent dosen't help,,, taking things to personal """sometimes""" takes the fun out of it,,, the best part is finding the threads we want to follow...

Scroll through the posts to find the ones that aline with us,,, or learn something new...

Sometimes folks take life to serious and blow their own ship out of the water...

A old guy told me years ago that he is the master of nothing and the leader of none,,, this allowed him to walk around with his blinders off...

Some of us show up here looking for the simple stuff,,, and share ideas on what use to work on a frugal budget...

There were no pricey annealing machines years ago,,, we use to find bullet trajectory by zero-ing our rifles at 100 yards,,, then shot at the top of a clay bank to find the bullet drop,,, the trick to this was to find the closest Sierra reloading ballistics page in the book that reflects the ammo we we're shooting at the time...

Then make our own ballistic chart for the cartridge combination we had going,,, simple easy and fast...

I still do it the same way with a few years under the belt,,, I like the frugal simple way of getting things done,,, fat chance that I'll drop $$$$ on a Conograph or the $$$$ inside rifling cleaning system...

$20 to $40.000 in tech is not what I'm after in the shooting sports,,, I'm holding even in the few thousand spent in good times...

Simple measuring tools,,, a few electronic tools to speed things up in ammo prep,,, the best funds I've spent over the years for my shooting sports and hunting is a top quality lawn chair,,, and the best coffee cup that won't spill when I decide to have a nap sitting in the wilds...

Frugal,,, with in my budget,,, and the simple easy stuff,,, just enough to get by...

Chasing the 300 meters and beyond is an eye opener,,, getting it out there at 600 is fun,,, the light bulb moments happen at 800 +,,, then the buckle down really happens at 1260,,, this is when the 1500 to 1700 stuff falls into place...

Our Friend Ed up here in the North that does the 2 mile stuff really ups the game plan,,, attention to details more than the costs of endless...

To each their own he'd say...

I'm ok with the 1000 meter stuff now days,,, shooting clay bank features along the river banks,,, big rocks that need to be chipped away at,,, and the endless road of chasing the ever changing winds...

A package that can out shoot my skills and self made ammo that is consistant...

Lifes just that simple for me... None of this going over board with endless funds and more time spent out side looking around and covering ground...

That's why I reload my ammo on the road,,, shooting sports to me is about being there instead of sitting in a small or large gun room... LOL...

Yuppers,,, follow the things that work for you,,, that's what really counts...

Cheers from the North

People come here for info for their own reasons. All of us have a different definition in mind when it comes to LRH. For me, 750 yds is about my hunting limit... mostly due to my equipment and what I have settled for. Some may have a 400 yd limit, some may have a 1200 yd limit. One thing is for sure: There is no site on the net, anywhere that has the collective expertise and accomodating atmosphere related to long range, guns, optics and loads as this site. I frequent five gun/hunting sites daily and this is the site that I cherish and look forward to the most.
We can't change the fact that more and more folks are googling LRH, or accidentally stumble across this site when trying to answer general hunting/shooting related questions... and then they just pop off their inquiry not knowing the full intent or context of this community. It is the way of the internet. Just like the way Western hunting has gone... with the internet and OnX and sites like Rokslide, etc, many more new groups of hunters are visiting the West and it is becoming more competitive and crowded each season.

First, I want to say that this is one of the best forums in the internet. It truly is a wealth of knowledge concerning all things long range shooting/hunting. I've been on here for quite awhile (~10 years) but recently I've noticed quite the change in the thread content and topics. Seems like the focus has been shifting more and more away from long range hunting/shooting to just simple general hunting and gun stuff...nothing really wrong with that but it seems to be driving the focus away from the prerogative of the site, and what drew me (and I'm sure others) here to begin with. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I want this site to remain the authority on long range hunting and continue to be the treasure trove that it is. Currently, however, I feel like we're really diluting the resource. Rant over.

No one is stopping anyone from LRH/S discussion. If a new member (grew significantly in the last 10 years) asks, old-timers simply share their answers and experiences. BTW, there is also an ELRH/S section.

Last edited:
I am from the rolling hills and mountains of Central Pa. A long range shot on game would be about 400 yds. I am retired , a reloader, a rifle shooter and an avid trap shooter. I love to shoot. My club range is 200 yds. That is an exception around here, most are 100 yd. ranges. The people you meet on a week day morning that are are shooters is amazing. The shooting culture is not main stream like when I grew up. I hope this forum continues, love to read what you you people from the West are up to. I am venturing to Colorado for 3rd rifle season, have never been elk hunting. I have been trying to prepare all summer. This forum has answered many questions just by continuous reading. I read it every morning while drinking my coffee. Keep the info coming, this is a great shooting, hunting information forum. Thanks for all you share.

I always have mixed feelings when I read a thread like this. As someone who is new to this forum, it's kind of awkward and unwelcoming. Anytime I join a new committee, organization, etc., I try to tread lightly, and listen a bunch, and only offer my opinion when I'm asked. I do this to learn as much as I can before I go to spouting off. But sometimes, you have a question that needs to be asked. And to those long time members, it's probably basic and elementary and frustrating to answer. But in all things in this world, you can't know how to get where you're going, without knowing where you've been. You more experienced guys know where LRH has been. So when someone asks a general gun question, it's not because they want to take the focus away from LRH. It's because they're working up to LRH. You guys know the answers to these "general" questions. And those answers will build a road map for us new guys starting our journey to long range hunting. That's just my two cents, whatever that's worth to you. And by the way, because of this sight, and the people on it, I've doubled the range I'm comfortable shooting at animals in the last year. I hope to double or triple it again in the next year. So there's still a lot of value here.

I doubt I will comfort you here, but forums evolve. Maybe what was once a certain age group of like minded people at some point needs to take on new members, and liking the outcome may become tougher. It is still a premier hunting site though.
I was in a conversation with the owner of Snipers Hide yrs ago, he made the statement that you cannot buy your way into what he called his game. I begged to differ, capable gun smiths are all over this country building accurate rifles. The tools available to learn are at your fingertips today. Whether at the reloading bench, apps for dopes, and the optics today.
What may have taken you years to learn or accomplish, people are doing the same in a fraction of the time and can be vocal about it, lol
With growth comes diversity, fact of life.

What I think frank meant was all the toys and accurate rifle mods won't give you the knowledge to make good use of it all. You can't buy your way into that game.
If you could, everyone would be king of the 2 mile, a sniper, hold the record for longest deer kill, be a prs champ, and whatever other accolades that can exist.
The information is out there and so is the tech, buuuttt, people are still people and you either have experience or you don't. That's the big difference. I'd trust a dude to make a shot that knows what he's doing over a guy with the latest and greatest that learned how to shot over the Internet. You can't buy that, ya just have to put in the work.

We have a few forums up here above the 49th parallel,,, they are tough to fit into at times,,, so this forum is deffinatly the hang out...

There are lots of hunting and out-doors forums out there in this big old world,,, this forum and its partisapants really rock when it comes to sharing of information,,, that's a real plus...

A person can follow along or share their ideas that works for them,,, I agree,,, what works for one person might not work for others... Getting all wound up and bent dosen't help,,, taking things to personal """sometimes""" takes the fun out of it,,, the best part is finding the threads we want to follow...

Scroll through the posts to find the ones that aline with us,,, or learn something new...

Sometimes folks take life to serious and blow their own ship out of the water...

A old guy told me years ago that he is the master of nothing and the leader of none,,, this allowed him to walk around with his blinders off...

Some of us show up here looking for the simple stuff,,, and share ideas on what use to work on a frugal budget...

There were no pricey annealing machines years ago,,, we use to find bullet trajectory by zero-ing our rifles at 100 yards,,, then shot at the top of a clay bank to find the bullet drop,,, the trick to this was to find the closest Sierra reloading ballistics page in the book that reflects the ammo we we're shooting at the time...

Then make our own ballistic chart for the cartridge combination we had going,,, simple easy and fast...

I still do it the same way with a few years under the belt,,, I like the frugal simple way of getting things done,,, fat chance that I'll drop $$$$ on a Conograph or the $$$$ inside rifling cleaning system...

$20 to $40.000 in tech is not what I'm after in the shooting sports,,, I'm holding even in the few thousand spent in good times...

Simple measuring tools,,, a few electronic tools to speed things up in ammo prep,,, the best funds I've spent over the years for my shooting sports and hunting is a top quality lawn chair,,, and the best coffee cup that won't spill when I decide to have a nap sitting in the wilds...

Frugal,,, with in my budget,,, and the simple easy stuff,,, just enough to get by...

Chasing the 300 meters and beyond is an eye opener,,, getting it out there at 600 is fun,,, the light bulb moments happen at 800 +,,, then the buckle down really happens at 1260,,, this is when the 1500 to 1700 stuff falls into place...

Our Friend Ed up here in the North that does the 2 mile stuff really ups the game plan,,, attention to details more than the costs of endless...

To each their own he'd say...

I'm ok with the 1000 meter stuff now days,,, shooting clay bank features along the river banks,,, big rocks that need to be chipped away at,,, and the endless road of chasing the ever changing winds...

A package that can out shoot my skills and self made ammo that is consistant...

Lifes just that simple for me... None of this going over board with endless funds and more time spent out side looking around and covering ground...

That's why I reload my ammo on the road,,, shooting sports to me is about being there instead of sitting in a small or large gun room... LOL...

Yuppers,,, follow the things that work for you,,, that's what really counts...

Cheers from the North

Very well said!!!
Lots of change has taken place, everywhere and change is the only, true constant. We all get to make our own choices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts