What’s Going On At LRH??

Joel Russo

5F6C3EDE-2FD3-4DDC-91D8-81A241673207.png
I've been noticing this over the past few months, and this morning's review of new posts confirmed my suspicions...
What has happened to technical discussions? Seems like this forum has become a magnet to people who are looking to sell stuff.
Change my mind.
Where did all the original members go? Hardly see them on here anymore..

Dang, looks more like a swap meet or Craigslist...:eek:

I agree about the path the site has taken over the past several years. Used to be a site where a small community of guys pushed the limits, both equipment and themselves. Seems almost frowned upon now...and that is tolerated.

I'm in no way an original member here, or one who pushes the limits even. I don't even look at the buy/sell forums here. What made me want to join here was the fact that every time I did a search on a topic I wanted to know more about, LRH was always at the top of the results with the content herein being very fun to read and informative. That wasn't long ago, and I feel this is still the best place for shooters and hunters looking to better themselves.

*Edit*
So much so that when I do searches now, I include "long range hunting" in all my queries.

Joel I would be a hypocrite if I totally agreed with you, because I myself do a lot of buying, selling, and trading in the classifieds. It's like a second part of the hobby for me.

I think the issue is guys are all over the place with experience levels and capabilities. Like for me, I haven't shot past 200 yards in about 3 years! That's due to range limitations. I try and help out and answer guys questions whenever I can. The main issue for me is I'm pretty savvy in gear, "normal" rounds (think .308), scope talk, general hunting, and just ideas for shooting, but when it comes to Reloading, Wild Cats, and pushing the limits of distance I just can't help out or really even comment.

I think that maybe the really technical stuff is answered by some top tier guys who are more providing info for guys like me or the "lurkers" (no negative connotation with that word) than any of us combined could ever imagine Providing.

Another example is your stock making! The only thing I contribute to your threads is "beautiful" bc I couldn't fathom making something like that in a million years!!

I don't know just some food for thought. I still really like the forum and enjoy it a lot.

Maybe they all died off Joel, or at least mellowed out some. Too bad because theres more now than ever to argue about. lol
I think the site has evolved from hunter oriented to shooter oriented, and maybe that's not a bad thing. Theres seems no doubt the interest in L/R shooting is increasing, and also no doubt the interest in hunting is going in the opposite direction.
Just my take on the whole situation.

Reading back over my post, makes me sound like a 60 year old man. :eek::D:D:D
This is still my favorite site and about the only one I visit. However wading more and more through to get to the good stuff.
What the hell is wrong with being over 60? I still do all the things I did before I retired from the Navy......Just a little slower;)

I just realized my screen shot showed most of the posts are from ELR Researcher...
No offense to you Oscar as you were bumping old threads..
But my assessment of the site remains..

after going through five pages of new posts and the overwhelming majority are for sale maybe its time to charge sellers fees

Whoa a thread I can contribute to! ;) I just joined recently, like others said searches lead here, and it felt like many times I wished I could ask a question of one of the posters that was still unclear in my head. (Thanks for all of the info over the years!) However, I was kinda surprised how quick I became a "well known" member...... just curious but does anyone reading this feel like they know me? I have sold on Flea-bay and gun broker in the past, and I think people are drawn to free selling, and selling to like minded people......but it also isn't really that hard to get sellers status here. I also don't really have time in my life to be members in multiple forums, so sometimes I think these sites members can get a broder knowledge base through time, and get less specific to LRH.....I mean I primarly archery hunt, so I can't really contribute much on the Long Range side of hunting, but I hope sometime I can contribute something!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.