What’s everybody using for iPhone ballistic apps ?

Lots can be happening out there. Thermals, mirage, shooter alignment, scope tracking, blah blah blah. I can generally run any of the apps and wind up with solutions within .5 of each other. I personally don't think any are flawed in the solution department. People get into chevy vs ford arguments but for me its more ford f150 vs 250 vs bronco etc. Its the same family but different levels of gizmos and ease of use. Ballistic AE has a neat wind segmenting section that allows the user to input lots of wind scenarios to play with cross wind components. None have a vertical wind component except for aerodynamic jump and some don't have that. So as a user you have to decide what features are most important to you and why. For me, I desire a very easy, fast, and intuitive app. If I have to fumble around trying to find the right rifle and ammo profile, mess around with atmospheric and target inputs, its not going to work for me. At one point I had 7 apps on the phone to work through and understand. It was part of the gig when instructing new students and it seems they would show up with a pile of different apps.
7 apps, wowie. Sounds like when I was helping out training LE I had around 6 handguns as well as shotguns and rifles. Have to learn the idiosyncrasies of as many systems as possible.

7 apps, wowie. Sounds like when I was helping out training LE I had around 6 handguns as well as shotguns and rifles. Have to learn the idiosyncrasies of as many systems as possible.
Yes exactly. It's all user interface and preference and then you have to be familiar with all to help solve little issues. Kind of annoying but interesting. Only reason I have AB on my phone is due to it being the same as my kestrel. I like having data comparisons from the same engine if a discrepancy shows up. my Leica has its own wiz bang program of sorts for solutions to 1000 if not connected to kestrel. If shooting an unusual scenario or missing my first round, I will run all my programs and verify data. Seems 99% of the time, a miss is simple vertical wind component missed call. Typical mountain terrain shooting bs.

There are a lot of good options of course. Some have some great features that set them apart, some are much easier to use, and others tend to be more "accurate" right away. I like the apps that allow for export a lot. I find having hard dope is good to have on hand. In the end I still end up going back to the Kestrel. If the battery is low, I can switch it in one minute. Not possible with my phone. And phones often cost more than a Kestrel, so if I dropped it and had to replace one, I would choose the Kestrel. Its unfortuantely pretty hard to function in life without a phone, but I can get along just fine without a Kestrel for a few days. One thing that really helps is having an app that has support and a manual. Noting is more frustrating than not knowing what all of the parameters mean. It's just a guess at that point. Best thing is to verify at all of the distances you want to shoot and keep a paper backup IMO.

Using ballistic AE. I save to my Lock Screen so it doesn't matter about cell coverage.

Attachments

• 9D58A457-1CAD-4E6B-B9CD-46893D424C15.jpeg
    9D58A457-1CAD-4E6B-B9CD-46893D424C15.jpeg
    304.3 KB · Views: 33