What’s causing this group?

I'm thinking that by the time you shoot your second round your cheek weld is not exactly where the first one was due to recoil or possibly chambering another round and you instinctively shifted your head to visualize the ejection or chambering of the following round. By the 3rd shot you were back to your initial shooting position.

Last edited:
Recently switched to a thinner cheeked stock...
Had to figure cheekweld...slowly figured out my flyer...
I now find i have to slide my cheek down into the scope to find the optimal position for full scope without blackened edges...
Still had a 1.9"H two shots....at 400...V was .3"....
Slow down rethink the easiest part of the entire equation...
Correct eye position...."see" if it helps......

I am trying to work up a load for the 180 Berger hvld in a 7mm rem mag. I shot a ladder at 660 yards and had 4 inches of vertical between 68.5, 69 and 69.5 of h-1000. I loaded up 69 grains and tested seating depth .010, .030, .050 and .070 off the lands. Tested at 300. .030 and .070 bot shot about 2.5 inches. It was fairly windy so I loaded up just the .030 and .070 off loads and tested them at 105 yds with no wind. Both shot .75 inches. The problem is I know this fun can shoot tighter. The groups show two touching and one off. It was the same for both seating depths. It happened the first time at 300 yards as well. At 300 yds there were two right next to each other and one 2.5 inches away. What would be your next step? How do I get the one round to suck in? Forgot to mention the order is 1st shot then 2nd one off and then the 3rd back touching the first. Attached are the 105 yard groups.
You didn't mention what the rifle consists of...action, barrel, stock (bedded or not), scope, bench, rest, bags etc. Not that it matters but it could. I see someone mentioned bedding the action. That has been the cause of many problems like you have explained.

A different primer is a good idea,
I would also Perform a seating depth ladder.
In my 7rm I'm using 69.5 h1000 and .040" jump with the hybrid.
I think you're flirting with good seating depth but not quite there

What is your barrel twist rate? 1:9.25"? 1:9"? 1:8"?
4" of vertical is not a very good node in my opinion. I would keep looking. I would take a very accurate 180 @ 2800 over a mediocre 180 @ 3000 any day.

To me, a vertical spread is gun/load related. Horizontal is shooter or wind induced.
If it doesn't shoot good for the first two shots, 3 or 5 won't make it any better.

Thanks for the replies. It's a 1/8 twist 26 inch barrel. The action is pillar and glass bedded. I don't think it's the bedding because I have a 168 smk load that shoots consistent at .5.

I know this may sound dumb but in all transparency I don't know you or your level of experience so do not take insult.
But does your scope have a parallax adjustment knob and if so, is it dialed in correctly to the proper distance?

No offense taken. Yes the parallax was set correctly. That was the first thing I double checked when I saw the group and was still behind the scope.

IDK, I have a custom 7mmRM. which shoots 0.26MOA. I use H1000, 69gr, CCI, Nosler brass, Berger 168 HVLD, 2995fps, They are custom loads because to get about 0.003 off the lands it's outside of SAMMI by about 0.1". You might want to consider COAL... get really close to the lands... While you do that, make sure you keep cartridge temp constant and consistent. At 100yds, you should shoot 1 hole. That's the goal... Have you also checked for consistent MV?

IDK, I have a custom 7mmRM. which shoots 0.26MOA. I use H1000, 69gr, CCI, Nosler brass, Berger 168 HVLD, 2995fps, They are custom loads because to get about 0.003 off the lands it's outside of SAMMI by about 0.1". You might want to consider COAL... get really close to the lands... While you do that, make sure you keep cartridge temp constant and consistent. At 100yds, you should shoot 1 hole. That's the goal... Have you also checked for consistent MV?
It all depends on what your rifle likes to eat....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts