What’s the best deer hunting scope for under $500?

Hello,
I am looking for a new rifle scope for deer hunting. Hoping to keep it under $500. I will be hunting in Texas and Arkansas. The likely range will be less than 200 yards. Most of the time we will be shooting from deer blinds. I am shooting a Tikka T3x lite in 6.5 cm. I have been checking out the vortex diamondback tactical but looking for some other options.
Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Redfield 2x7x33 reticle with accurange hold over :)

A Good Clean used Leupold VX 3 series scope. Either 3.5 X to 10 X or a 4.5X to 14 X on a 30 mm tube. You can find many of them for sale between $450 and $500 on E bay.

check this Burris rear focal plane, I bought 5 of these from Natchez and they are very good for price https://www.natchezss.com/burris-ve...x50mm-30mm-ballistic-e2-reticle-rfp-matte.htm. I prefer rea focal palne for hunting. I like the Meopta Otpika, but I could not get their scope marks to match my loads. Burris with the E2 MOA matches 308,30-3006 and 300 win mag loads nicely with 100-200 yd zeros. I didnt compare glass to Leo or Meopta, but so far very good and I like them. The limitation out of the box is 25 moa adjustment with the zero stop, but that is 1000+ yds with 300 win mag. You can remove the limit, but lose the return to zero feature. Same features in Leos and Meoptas we twice as much,

We're a funny bunch. Guy wants a 200 yard scope and we just can't leave it alone. But my "Superglass 7000" will dial at 9000 yards! We've corrupted more than one down this very expensive trail 🤣
Yep. This is a Long Range Forum and we just don't want anyone to forget it. So even when the OP is asking for a scope appropriate to close range shots in deep dark cover, we still recommend giant scopes with practically no close range FOV.

It is sort of like we are trying to tell them that if they are taking close shots, they are doing it all wrong.

Part of it is many just don't understand the fundamental difference in terrain between places like Montana, and wide open prairies where pronghorn can be seen a mile away with High Magnification Optics, and places like the OP mentioned where most deer do not even offer shot opportunities beyond 60 Yards.

I've been blessed to be able to get a lot of shots out to 350 Yards from one of my stands, but that was only possible because it was a new cut-over.

Hoping to have a new opportunity for longer shots this Fall with another new timber cut.

So unless he has shot opportunities beyond 200, some of these recommendations are counter productive.

We're a funny bunch. Guy wants a 200 yard scope and we just can't leave it alone. But my "Superglass 7000" will dial at 9000 yards! We've corrupted more than one down this very expensive trail 🤣
As Jon Bischof said, some guys are interested in learning the long range hunting essentials but they currently live in an area where their shots are limited by terrain. Let's support where they are right now while at the same time feeding their interest in being able to lengthen out their shots. I've lived in areas where an 80 years shot was long distance, and now Idaho offers the across the canyon shots that challenge and excite.

I had a Veracity and would love to believe I had a lemon, but Burris said it was in spec. The glass was barely better than my FFII. That's the same price as the Razor LH listed above. The two are not even in the same ballpark on quality of glass, at least to my eyes. The Veracity does feel like tank. I have no problem believing it'd last a lifetime, but the glass was disappointing.
Have not used one. LOL for his range and use, I go with Pre 64 Winchesters in 308s w/Tip-off Weaver El Paso K-4s. But that's me.

Liked Burris in the past, then Leupold, Sightron, and now Riton (for inexpensive). Out of his $ range is the Night Force SHV 4-14x50 F1 and of course it's 30oz too.

A NF NXS 8x32x56 .25 MOA Illuminated MOAR would be the Night Force I would save my pennies for. That would be for something completely different though, and only 4 oz more.
[h3][/h3]

Last edited:
AGREE with THIS ^^^ Any, "Good Quality",.. 6X, 2x7, 0r, 3 x 9 will Slay Deer out to,.. 200-300 Yards.
And, they usually don't weigh over, 14 ounces !
We use, 4.5 x 14's, in case, a Longer shot, presents itself on, an Elk or, Moose in, the wide open Sage.

AGREE with THIS ^^^ Any, "Good Quality",.. 6X, 2x7, 0r, 3 x 9 will Slay Deer out to,.. 200-300 Yards.
And, they usually don't weigh over, 14 ounces !
We use, 4.5 x 14's, in case, a Longer shot, presents itself on, an Elk or, Moose in, the wide open Sage.
Lol his range will (likely) be less than 200 yards. Most of the time they will be shooting from deer blinds. That's PBR. Irons set for 75. With out to 300 is 4X for me with a 200-225 zero and a hold. But your point is well taken any 6x or a 3-9 is certainly good to 300.