Wet Tumbler

Why not just keep it simple...is it our nature to complicate things?

Go buy a single (or double) canister {rock, jewelry} wet tumbler from Harbor Freight.

Go buy a 5# bag of SS pins from MidwayUSA. Put 2.5 lbs in each canister.

Size and deprime 50 6.5CM size cases (or 100 223 size cases) for each canister to tumble.

Put in 1/2 teasooon of Dawn AND 1 table spoon of Lemi-Shine per canister.

Fill to 1/2" from the top with water.

Tumble for 3 hours while reloading something or priming cases or completing a 'honey due' item...(your discretion). Or better yet, do some load development (or sighting in) shooting...always the best option!

After 3 hours, rinse throughly (especially the insides to get any stray pins out) in the sink over a strainer to catch the pins. I keep a small magnet handy to pick up any stragglers outside the strainer. I then lay the brass between 2 towels and gently rub...gets the outsides pretty much dry before my next step.

Don't dry them on a cookie sheet in the oven on low heat...it will tarnish the crap out of them...(ask me how I know?)

Instead air dry them...my method...I take 3-5 plastic inserts from the factory ammo I used to buy. I slip 20 cleaned cases per insert and place them in front of a fan on low-medium speed. For how long? Well, 3 hours of course, while the next batch is tumbling and I'm reloading something (or checking off another 'honey due' item or shooting).

One note with small primer pockets...one in a 100 (roughly) cases will have 2 SS pins jammed inside the pocket. Just lightly punch them out over a magnet, preferably. Chasing down them little buggers can ruin a moment in time.

The large primer pocket cases don't seem to get jammed pins.

If you're into the case trimming, neck turning, and chambering your cases, probably best to do these before tumbling. (You could substitute my 'reloading something' 3 hour time slot doing these things instead.)

This system (whether simple or complex to you) works for me.

Last edited:
I dry tumbled for years with rice,walnut and corn cob. All clean brass,but none did much for the primer pockets,and walnut and rice get stuck in them. I picked up a wet tumbler and some stainless chips. The chips do a great job on the pockets,and don't get stuck inside the case,as pins occasionally do. I still use the dry media for pistol brass,and for a short tumble after sizing to remove the lube,but for bottleneck brass,I'm sold on wet and chips.

Last edited:

Go buy a single (or double) canister {rock, jewelry} wet tumbler from Harbor Freight.

Size and deprime 50 6.5CM size cases (or 100 223 size cases) for each canister to tumble.

Tumble for 3 hours while reloading something or priming cases or completing a 'honey due' item...(your discretion). Or better yet, do some load development (or sighting in) shooting...always the best option!

After 3 hours, rinse throughly (especially the insides to get any stray pins out) in the sink over a strainer to catch the pins. I keep a small magnet handy to pick up any stragglers outside the strainer.

Don't dry them on a cookie sheet in the oven on low heat...it will tarnish the crap out of them...(ask me how I know?)

Instead air dry them...my method...I take 3-5 plastic inserts from the factory ammo I used to buy. I slip 20 cleaned cases per insert and place them in front of a fan on low-medium speed. For how long? Well, 3 hours of course, while the next batch is tumbling and I'm reloading something (or checking off another 'honey due' item or shooting).

One note with small primer pockets...one in a 100 (roughly) cases will have 2 SS pins jammed inside the pocket. Just lightly punch them out over a magnet, preferably. Chasing down them little buggers can ruin a moment in time.

If you're into the case trimming, neck turning, and chambering your cases, probably best to do these before tumbling. (You could substitute my 'reloading something' 3 hour time slot doing these things instead.)

Regarding trimming:
wet tumbling beforehand may be beneficial. The pins actually do a tiny "peaning" or hammering on the case mouth cut, particularly if your chamfer and de-burr come together too close and form a more fragile 'ridge'. The ridge will get minute little dings all over from the pins.....so..... trimming AFTER wet tumbling removes these and you start anew, then de-burr and chamfer the new cut.

I went away from sonic cleaner and dey tumbling about a year ago. I now use wet tumbler using teaspoon of d/w liquid and lemi shine along with stainless steel media for at least 3 hours. Afterwards I hang them on dowels and dry overnight. Cleans inside and out along with primer pockets.

I read of some one using a flitz cloth to wipe them down, then a primer pocket cleaner - brush or hard type and done. I put my wet brass in a dehydrator after ultrasonic bath. No tarnish, etc.

People who use walnut/media tumblers and sonic cleaners are oblivious. to new and modern technology. The same people that repeat 50 year old wives tails about car performance.

Smarter people buy wet steel media tumblers and throw the old crap away.

I have a Thumblers tumbler. squirt of dish soap and lemon shine and they are new looking inside and out. Summer sun dry and winter I use a food processing dehumidifier,

I've never understood the leaving something in the case neck. For my real precision target rounds I inside and outside turn my case. typical mass loading I just inside chamfer the trimmed to length brass. I never lube the pills.
Not oblivious, just never saw an appreciable difference.

I wet tumble - never buy media again:) A buddy cleans in a chemical bath of commmercial brass cleaner, then vibratory cleaning with polish included. They all come out clean - his are a bit more shiny. I've tried polish in my wet tumbler with no success. Don't use too much LemiShine, and BUY THE MAGNET when you buy the tumbler.

For years I used a dry tumbler but was never satisfied. Then I moved on to a wet tumbler and didn't really get satisfaction there either. Finally I bought into the Franklin tumbler system with stainless steel pins and have been way more satisfied with the results. It takes me on average about 4 hours per load. I like to let the brass tumble for about an hour and a half. Then you have to go through the process of draining the brass and pins using a separator device, finally using a dryer at about 160 degrees for 2 hours just to make sure it is thoroughly dry. The only little issue I have seen is in some calibers the pins may trap crosswise inside the neck of a couple cases, no big deal. I am only keeping my old dry tumbler and wet tumbler in case I get in a jam someday with the Franklin unit. It is expensive to be sure, but well worth the results. The brass comes out looking like gold!!

After 3 hours, rinse throughly (especially the insides to get any stray pins out) in the sink over a strainer to catch the pins. I keep a small magnet handy to pick up any stragglers outside the strainer.

If you dry the outside of them with a towel and by no means do I mean perfectly dry them. Just the majority of the water off there will be no tarnishing l.

Here's the results of wet tumbling. Now trying to get rid of my sonic cleaner and dry tumbler.
I went away from sonic cleaner and dey tumbling about a year ago. I now use wet tumbler using teaspoon of d/w liquid and lemi shine along with stainless steel media for at least 3 hours. Afterwards I hang them on dowels and dry overnight. Cleans inside and out along with primer pockets.

Attachments

• BRASS.jpg
    BRASS.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 131
I've been using the STM wet tumbling kit for awhile and I'm happy with it. I lay all my cleaned brass on a pizza box lid and stick them in the sun. You'd be surprised at how warm they get after awhile.

It is surprising how much emphasis there is on cleaning brass. I put a clean case in my rifle, fire it, and take it out clean. A quick wipe of the neck (inside & out) and its ready to reload. I rarely feel a need to clean my rifle brass. Pistol brass, on the other hand, is always dirty and gets the wet tumbling treatment.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.