Western OK Steel Shoot

bailey1474

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Well, despite the fact that Lerch and I performed pretty poorly, I figure I'll post a few pics and give you guys the low down.

Wildcat Custom Rifles held an unknown distance steel shoot in Sayre, OK on Memorial Day. The competion was setup w/23 targets over 2 courses of fire. There were 50 shooters (one of which was David Tubb). It started off very foggy in the morning. Couple that w/the fact that they were making the targets alomost impossible to hit w/a laser anyway and you have a bad situation for Lerch and I. I tried to range w/my NPR1 reticle but don't have much experience doing so and it showed. I completley missed 2 easy targets b/c of ranging errors. I'm still kicking myself but I did learn alot and won't let the same mistakes happen again. The first course of fire was terrible for me.

After a lunch break, we moved on to the second course. The Swaro was working well for me by then and I was able to hit all but one target w/the laser. This equated into only one missed shot for the second course of fire and I was able to pick the one target I missed up on the second shot. I did very well on this course but it was too little to late. I was doomed to finish 20th.

Anyway, it was a good time. The one brightspot was that Rick Reeves, the guy who owns the range in Alex and puts on the balloon shoots, one first place. He didn't just barely win either. His Cooper model 22 in 6.5-284 dominated. He was far and away the best on that day!! Congrats to Rick and all the other winners!!!

Here is Lerch. On the firing line:

SpringSteelShoot07001.jpg

Here he is after shooting. I had to censor the photo as he was having a rough day as well:
SpringSteelShoot07002.jpg

Here I am on the second course of fire. As you can see, Tubb is just two down from me. He was a really nice guy. I was very impressed w/him.
SpringSteelShoot07004.jpg

And just a few pictures of Tubb on the line:
SpringSteelShoot07008.jpg

SpringSteelShoot07007.jpg

Now that I've given Tubb his due, I have to say that I spanked him pretty good on the second course of fire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Of course, we don't need to talk about how bad he spanked me on the first course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

It was a good time w/some good folks and some good prizes. I'd post what Rick won but I wouldn't want his wife to find out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif!! Congrats to all and thanks to all those that helped put the shoot on.

[ QUOTE ]
Here he is after shooting. I had to censor the photo as he was having a rough day as well:

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG, WHAT DID YOU DO WITH MY HAND!!!! I NEED THAT HAND, I CANT DO CRAP WITH MY LEFT ONE YOU "BLEEP"

Yea it was a pretty fun shoot but it would have been a heckuva lot more fun for me if they would have let me shoot my 270AM!!!! The wind is what really killed me, i was actually able to range most of the targets. I am glad i could range them cause i could give a dang less about learning how to "mill" like they say, just not interested.

It is a fun shoot and a great way to build confidance in a rifle since you have to shoot at so many different ranges. I didnt get to talk to Tubb be he seemed like a pretty nice guy. COngrats to Ric Reeves for the awesome shooting, SOB really did great!!!!!

PLease dont give BJ any encouragment for beating Tubb in one round, his head has already swollen to gargantuan proportions!!!!!!!! Besides he was a annoying little cuss to begin with

take it easy
steve

Steve:

I notice that your feet hang over the end of your mat and BJ's mat is a lot longer. Maybe you guys need to switch mats. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Must be an optical illusions huh??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

What were the gun/caliber limitations and why the restrictions on your 270 AM? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Since Steve and my buddy Adam beat on their precious steel pretty hard last year w/the a 270 AM and a 300 RUM, they said "300 Win or smaller." Kinda BS in my books but hey, I'm not the one putting the thing on. I guess when we have a shoot, we can make the rules however we want.

Sounds like it was a lot of fun. Tubbs seems to have a very strange shooting position with his foot flopped back over his other leg and his hand wrapped around the barrel shank and a radio antenna attached to his gun.

We switched mat's at the end of the day, but for some reason the problem keeps happening!!! wierd man, definantly weird /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Yea the rule about nothing bigger than a 300win didnt make any sense but I didnt fair to horrible with the 6br. The 270AM sure kicks butt in the wind though!!!

take it easy
steve

Buff,

I believe he only got AM radio on that rig so down here he is limited to mostly latino stations /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All those Tubb's guys sure had some interesting lookin rifles and they were some serious shooters!!

take it easy
steve

[ QUOTE ]
I believe he only got AM radio on that rig so down here he is limited to mostly latino stations

[/ QUOTE ]
LMAO - now that's a good one, Lerch. Reminds me of my days working in the outback of Arizona installing weather stations.

I sure wish you guys weren't so far from me (N.C.) so I could participate in the festivities.

Dang Bill !!,

You and Lerch are having all the fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Thanks for the post and pix .

What were the distances and what was the target sizes ? . Who verifies your hit/miss? Tell it all Bill , inquiring minds got to know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Congrats on your second round shooting , tell Steve I will try to come next time , that way my shooting will make him grow a better looking hand /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

Jim

I think the farthest distance was 770 yds. Most targets were 2-3 MOA. Getting the correct range was the tough part. If I had the right range on all the targets, I have no doubt I'd have been right there. However, I didn't and you see where that put me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif.

There is a guy on a spotting scope watching for the hits.

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like you guys had fun. Too bad about the hand injury!

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That's what happens when you loose the
sweetness of your character. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.