Western Montana Bull

shooter7

IMG_20181026_212320_434.jpg
This bull was taken in Western Montana on opening weekend. It's my second Montana bull, a little smaller than my first one. Unfortunately with a limited time frame to hunt, I couldn't afford to be too picky. He's still a solid bull nonetheless.

The rifle, because I know y'all are gonna ask, is a Christensen Mesa 300 Winchester Magnum. The Scope is a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP MOA mounted up in Talley Lightweight Medium rings. The ammunition used was a handload pushing a 168 Barnes TTSX at a MV of 3067 fps. This is my furtest big game kill at 440 yards. Not necessarily a super long shot, but I'm kinda proud of it.

Talk to us about the exit wound?
What you can see in the picture is the exit wound. He was slightly quartering towards me and facing downhill. The entrance was about half way up his right side as close to the front shoulder without hitting it and ruining any meat.

Unfortunately my hunting partner and I performed the gutless method on him so I didn't get to do a full autopsy. The exit wound was slightly smaller than an inch in diameter. We did find where the bullet burried itself into the mountain. We weren't able to recover it. The bull only made it about 20 yards before dying. So far it's my quickest kill on an elk. I really think it has something to do with the bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.