West Texas Aoudad

I had a chance to experience my first Aoudad Hunt last week just west of Sierra Blanca, TX with the West Texas Hunt Organization. We glassed at several spots on the ranch most of the first morning and came upon this Ram about mid day. Shot this tough critter with my 7mm-08 SAW and 162 ELDX from approximately 360 yards. Great experience with Mike McKinny, Casey my guide and Paul. Aoudad taped out at 32" with 14.5" bases. Thanks WTHO.

#WestTexasHuntOrganization

View attachment 220440
Thats awesome! Looks like lots of fun. I really like the looks and performance of the 7mm SAW with a 162 gr bullet. Its one of the most sensible short action standard bolt face hunting rounds I can think of.

Don't let anyone tell you the meat isn't good. As always, it depends on what they are eating, but in my opinion, it is better than deer meat, and almost as good as elk. I skin mine and bone it out in the field, put it in a plastic bag and when I get to camp I put it in the cooler. They aren't as hard to kill as most people think, but you can't shoot them where you'd shoot a deer. Shoot them in the shoulder. The photo is of an ibex, but the shot placement is the same. I've killed 4 with a 7-30 Waters.

Attachments

• Ibex.jpg
    Ibex.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 240
I had a chance to experience my first Aoudad Hunt last week just west of Sierra Blanca, TX with the West Texas Hunt Organization. We glassed at several spots on the ranch most of the first morning and came upon this Ram about mid day. Shot this tough critter with my 7mm-08 SAW and 162 ELDX from approximately 360 yards. Great experience with Mike McKinny, Casey my guide and Paul. Aoudad taped out at 32" with 14.5" bases. Thanks WTHO.

#WestTexasHuntOrganization

View attachment 220440
congrats