West Texas Aoudad

TexasTB

I had a chance to experience my first Aoudad Hunt last week just west of Sierra Blanca, TX with the West Texas Hunt Organization. We glassed at several spots on the ranch most of the first morning and came upon this Ram about mid day. Shot this tough critter with my 7mm-08 SAW and 162 ELDX from approximately 360 yards. Great experience with Mike McKinny, Casey my guide and Paul. Aoudad taped out at 32" with 14.5" bases. Thanks WTHO.

#WestTexasHuntOrganization

IMG_4529.JPG

I had a chance to experience my first Aoudad Hunt last week just west of Sierra Blanca, TX with the West Texas Hunt Organization. We glassed at several spots on the ranch most of the first morning and came upon this Ram about mid day. Shot this tough critter with my 7mm-08 SAW and 162 ELDX from approximately 360 yards. Great experience with Mike McKinny, Casey my guide and Paul. Aoudad taped out at 32" with 14.5" bases. Thanks WTHO.

View attachment 220440
Did you eat the meat I hear conflicting reports some say to leave it where you found it others say with proper care it is edible

I had mine made into sausage. That is quite good.

Nice ram! Congratulations! Got my first one in NM earlier this year with a 280 AI using the same bullet. Bang, Flop! Fun hunt.

View attachment 220440
Congratulations. This is something I want to do

Congratulations on your Aoudad! I have looked into hunting a few places in TX. I want to find one and use one of my Single Shot specialty pistols. Now I will trying harder to find a good place that I can do as much of it as possible myself. Don't get me wrong, I like guides. I have built several custom muzzleloaders for guides in CO and Montana and hunt with them a lot. The give me some ideas and turn me loose on some hard to access public land in CO with my longbow or pistol and then if I happen to get game I field dress and quarter to cool, I contact them and they bring their mules in and I help them load and pack out. I pay them $100 and we are both happy.
Great shooting and nice ram.

Mike