Well written article about long range hunting...

The most important part of this type of an article is everything the author left out.
What was left out is all the information on how (science) and why a person who chooses to hunt long range practices and proofs his information.
As a long range shooter, when a person asks you or tells you what you do is wrong or different, you need to be able to educate that person with facts.
The usual answer I find on this forum is "What I do is ethical and I don't really care what others think" just won't work on naysayers and people who honestly want to know about the subject.

Everyone who shoots long range should be able to at least explain simple ballistics and if you can't explain simple ballistics to a non hunter, You are a problem to the true long range community.

Take some time learning on how ballistics work and why it is important and how the science is true and works. Be able to explain simple ballistics to a newcomer and give a little education to the non-educated and be a positive instead of a negative influence.

I am not a long range hunter but I enjoy stretching the barrel when I can. I am ready to inform people on how and why what I do works and what can change the outcome of a well aimed shot and why I would or would not take that shot.

Shooters who claim to be a long ranger should be able to do the same. The ball is in your court.

I have always taught, and continue to teach, that if you can't hit an eight inch circle consistently at the distance to the target, you're not qualified to hunt at that distance. I still believe that hitting the eight inch target consistently is the best single individual test of a hunter's shooting ability for hunting large game. That distance depends, obviously, on what shooting stance you choose. Your level of accuracy shooting off-hand limits your off-hand range; your ability shooting from a bipod may increase your distance:accuracy ratio. Both have to be considered when deciding whether to take the shot.
Based on his blog, I think Richard Mann would agree with that.

Well, for comparison, you can read this article and responses from Eastmans Hunting Journal:

Long Range Shooting- What's Your Intent? | Eastmans' Official Blog | Mule Deer, Antelope, Elk Hunting and Bowhunting Magazine | Eastmans' Hunting Journals

and see what a cross section of hunters seem to think about long range hunting.

Many hunters and others who oppose long range hunting oppose it because they don't believe it's hunting. Their reasons have nothing to do with ballistics and how well you can shoot and how well you may know your science and equipment. The above article in the first post by Richard Mann is right on in saying exactly what needs to be said and in the right way. The 'science' answer is the easy part of the answer to give to someone who's asking.

Problem is articles like Eastmans posted and the constant negative writings about long range hunting of folks like Wayne Van Zwoll, Boone and Crockett Club and clearly now the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, divides hunters instead of uniting us against the much bigger fish we have to fry. (Zwoll is very active in both these organizations. Recent Presidents Message in 'Bugle' magazine from RMEF has the president clearly citing Zwoll for some of this.) It's a very short sighted and poor strategy to divide hunters against each other (and passions run high on the subject) when we need to be more united than ever and not 'sniping' at each other.

Very dissapointed in Zwoll, RMEF and B&C. I may pull my RMEF membership, they are so over the top on this. With nearly every issue of Bugle, I've seen it coming for some time. Zwoll has gotten particularly bad with this lately with typically at least one sideways swipe, often more, in nearly every article he writes in Bugle. I very much am starting to sense an elitist, 'controlist' attitude in regards to those who might shoot further than these people or organizations above think they should.

I am sorry, I will be busy for a week or so and then I will be back to talk with you guys.
I am interested in your opinions and facts so I can debunk some of the written crap that I see just about everywhere.
Talk to you in a couple days.

Well, for comparison, you can read this article and responses from Eastmans Hunting Journal:

Long Range Shooting- What's Your Intent? | Eastmans' Official Blog | Mule Deer, Antelope, Elk Hunting and Bowhunting Magazine | Eastmans' Hunting Journals

Very interesting to see what Glenn from Eberle has to say in the comments.

Yes, the comments from Eberle (owner of Eberlestock) in the link to the Eastmans blog above are particularly pungent given how many long range hunters use his gear.

crap had a real nice post but hit some **** button and now its gone. Well to make it way shorter.

I used to be like the many and thing bad things about you guys. Well I came here from some search I was doing and this time I STAYED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT YOU ALL ARE ABOUT.. I am glad I did and my opinion has changed.

I also feel it has a lot to do with IGNORANCE. I was one of them for a long while. But after spending time here and seeing and learning what goes into shots that a lot of you can make is mind blowing. I just learned about this coriolis corialis earth spinning thing. LIKE REALLY!! I saw on youtube this guy doing a shot showing this exact thing shooting North then quickly shooting South at 1000 yards and my mouth was on the floor. So much I made my wife watch as I was in disbelief. Right then and there I was like these guys are NUTS.

Its truly amazing the things you take into account. TRULY!!

I am a converted one now and as such just made a purchase in a SENDERO 7mm Rem Mag. Soon to be sent off to Center shot rifles for some work.

Some times I read too much here and get overwhelmed and think I will never be able to do this as I am not a technical kind of guy more of a meat and potatoes one. But I had Wildrose calm me down and said one step at a time. He said just get your rifle and get it set up. Then its step 2.
I am on my way now and right now I would be ecstatic to make hits at 500 yards. Yes baby steps.

But I HAVE changed my mind a lot and feel at least for me it was a lot of ignorance. If many of these people knew the science that goes into all this they would see its really not much more different than regular guys shooting at 1 to 200 yards than how you guys can hit at 5 6 or 700 yards.

Thanks for opening my eyes. But now I am so over whelmed its not funny.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts